From Keggle to Keg, (In search of the worlds fastest beer fermentation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
What is the shortest ferm time you've ever experienced?

What beer was it?

I need to get something in a keg in 2 weeks.

Thanx in advance.

Pitch lots of yeast (11g packet of dry or a 2L starter) and go with a balanced beer around 1.040 in gravity. Primary for 10 days at 68*F, rack, chill overnight, connect your gas at 20psi, shake for 5 minutes, drop into the kegerator, and set at serving pressure. After a few more days you'll be good to go.

You may also want to use gelatin or KC finings as you transfer to the keg to drop out the yeast if you do something like a blonde ale since you won't have time for the yeast to settle out on their own.

Heffe or mild.
As for the ferment I'd say around 24 hours.

+1 to both.

Personally I would lean towards the mild. I would go with a highly floculating dry yeast, no starter required. Since the mild has very low carbonation, you can rack it to the keg a day or two before you are ready to dink. Plus, a mild is a great beer for this season.

I did a batch of Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale that was being enjoyed at 14 days. Brewed and primary for 12 days, crash cooled and then kegged. Set at 30 psi and shake for 20 minutes or so then connected at serving pressure and dispensed the next day.

It continued to condition and was better at 21 - 28 days but was very enjoyable at 14.

I was drinking my cherry wheat ale 14 days after it was brewed.

I did force carb it in the keg, though.

Wheat beers can and should be drank young.

I'd say any lower gravity (1.046 or so or less) ale that isn't highly hopped or with lots of specialty grains could work.

You don't want anything that has to mellow, like roasted grains or a heavy bitterness, or anything that needs aging.

I like all of the ideas listed- mild, blonde, hefe. I personally don't like wheat beers, but that may be your best bet- either the hefe or an American wheat. Those are supposed to be fine when drunk very young.

Anything that has more flavor, like American amber, pale ales, stouts, etc, would take longer to meld flavors and mellow- more like 4-6 weeks for those.

Thanks for the response folks. I found these in a northern brew catalog

Lefse Blond - Extract Kit
American Wheat Beer - Extract Kit
Bavarian Hefe Weizen - Extract Kit
Dunkelweizen - Extract Kit

And, think Im going to go with the

Dunkelweizen - Extract Kit and possibly the Bavarian Hefe Weizen - Extract Kit

and thanks again for the direction.

Back