yeast for coopers ipa..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
What yeast would be best for coopers pre-hopped ipa ? I lost the original yeast...
I'm going to steep with crystal and dry hop in primary with 1 oz cascade.
I'd like it to be a clear beer with the most detail a lme would provide...
thanks
\timg:fro:

Well, I'd like it as clear as a one step brew can be. I'm joinesin' for an ipa and will only frement this for 14 days (or decent gravity's hit)
timg

I've done this one with nottingham and dry hopped an oz of cascade in secondary.

It's very good, although still not too over-the-top for an IPA... very tasty. Mine cleared up great, good head and all.

If you dry hop it though, don't plan on drinking it immediately... mine was primary for a week, secondary for two with hops, and bottle for three. The dry hopping can be a bit overpowering if you drink early, but it softens up with time.

For American IPAs I've always used US-05. It's a great yeast, and gives a good dry finish. But I've heard very good things about Nottingham, and I gather it gives a more compact yeast-cake, so I'm tempted to give that a try for my next batch.

hmm, I'll do the nottingham and dry hop it for 2 weeks in primary. I'll drink a few of my older stock while this one ages a bit.. thanks. I'll post my results.,
timg

You can buy coopers yeast from almost anywhere. It's cheap and fements really fast. They say the "special" yeast that they use in their beer is what makes it so good.

You can buy coopers yeast from almost anywhere. It's cheap and fements really fast. They say the "special" yeast that they use in their beer is what makes it so good.

When I did my research on purchasing a 5 gallon beer brewing kit I ended up getting a Coopers brewery. I did it because for $100 they offered a really good bucket (I like it more then BB or carboy imho), accessories, 30 x 740 ml plastic bottles, 1 kit and the fact that they have been a brewery for a very long time. If I remember correctly they were one of the first companies to offer a home brewing kit back in the 70's. They are based in Australia and I guess not that well known in the US (I never heard of them prior to finding their brewery kit for sale) but after being a member of this forum I see that people in the know understand that Coopers is a serious brand. I know for a fact that Mutilated will agree.

As far as "special" yeast it is definitely possible. They have been a brewery since 1862 so I am sure they have plenty of their own yeast straints at their disposal. If they have been in the home brewing business for 30+ years then I'm sure their yeast is just right for their kits.

If Rogue has Pacman then maybe Coopers got Donkey Kong ;)

What yeast would be best for coopers pre-hopped ipa ? I lost the original yeast...
I'm going to steep with crystal and dry hop in primary with 1 oz cascade.
I'd like it to be a clear beer with the most detail a lme would provide...
thanks
\timg:fro:

The yeast that comes with the Coopers IPA kit is an English Ale yeast. It is not the standard gold sachet yeast that you can buy separately. The gold sachet is similar to the yeast that Coopers uses to make the beers in the brewery.

I always have a Cooper's Lager kit on hand to supplement my 'lager inventory'. It's an excellent brew that kegs well. I've tryed to tweak the formula, adding this and that and trying different yeasts but couldn't improve on the original. I presently have a Cooper's European Lager in ferment and the instructions read it having a special yeast; I have about a three month wait to try this one.

For a change next time consider asking one of your favorite breweries for yeast from a product you like. I just brewed the Coopers IPA, with 3# of Light DME, & a small amount of clarifying agent and cane sugar boiled with a scant amount of citric acid to help convert suagrs, and aroma hops. I used a gooey nice starter of Imperial IPA Yeast from Laurelwood Brewing in Portland, Oregon. Theirs is a Muntons London strain, and I plan to use it in an all-grain Imperial IPA very soon. I'll keep the Coopers Yeast on hand in case I need to re-pitch or ferment something this summer when Temps will be higher. Enjoy!

Back