AHS Classic Series - opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsay

Reaction score
I was thinking of picking up two of the AHS Classic Series kits, have you brewed one before? I'm curious what you think compared to the other kits you have tried. Thanks!

Well, I guess I'll add some to the wishlist and post my review here when I make some. might be awhile though, since my next order needs to have equipment in it, which would mean no free shipping :(

I ordered an American red ale and other than the temperatures during shipping killing my yeast i found the instructions well written and easy to follow. So far i give 'em a 10. Just ordered a choc rasp stout and did not have the yeast sent this time. I will get it from my LHBS this time just to be sure.

bsay, those kits are brand new, so there's not a lot of experience with them- that's why you didn't get more feedback. Order with confidence, though, because AHS makes good kits.

Never had a bad kit from them and the cost is not much different than the regular kits, IMHO its just a bit of a marketing. Nothing bad about that, or the kits, as long as they have the style there you are looking for.

Classic Series uses dry extract and dry yeast, which I suppose is why the free shipping on two offer is nice (as these ingredients store pretty well). I haven't ordered any, but I don't see why they wouldn't be good, unless it were a Belgian or something that favored liquid yeast.

Not to jump off topic, but does LME really need special storage (fridge?) or does DME just have a longer shelf life? I have my hops in the freezer, yeast in the fridge, and everything else in the pantry from my LME kit that I will be brewing tomorrow. I would be interested in having some DME kits on hand, just in case I get bored or forgot to order a kit for my next brew day, especially if I know they aren't going to go bad.

Not to jump off topic, but does LME really need special storage (fridge?) or does DME just have a longer shelf life? I have my hops in the freezer, yeast in the fridge, and everything else in the pantry from my LME kit that I will be brewing tomorrow. I would be interested in having some DME kits on hand, just in case I get bored or forgot to order a kit for my next brew day, especially if I know they aren't going to go bad.

Liquid malt extract will last a couple months in an open container before it grows mold. It will last up to a year in a can but canned extract has that dreaded "extract twang".

Dry malt extract will last for years as long as you have the humidity under control.

The AHS Classic kits would be perfect for this application.

Forrest

Back