So I need a good digital measuring scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrman

Reaction score
I am finally going all grain - bought my first ingredients for AG today.
But I want a decent food scale to measure off grains, etc since I have a lot of ingredients in bulk.

Anyone have a good one they would suggest?

i'd also like to know since i've been browsing around for one lately.

i'd like to find one that i could use to measure grains and hops.

I found a great one on sale at Meijer for 19 dollars...but it only goes up to 5 pounds...so heavy duty grain measurements would not work.

It's by salter and is like this one, but the surface is plastic not stainless...

2584172BB4AC4823BAB7E5DB475F92F3.jpg

Good question!
I'm curious if anyone knows about this one at Target. I need one for small amounts, for hops and spices, etc.

Mine is almost exactly like that and its perfect for measuring hops out, but it seems to get confused when you try to load it up with too much weight (over 3/4 #)

I use the Escali Primo that a I purchased from Northern Brewer. Good up to 11#. If you plan on weighing larger batches at once than the Keso might be a better option.

I am assuming you do not need to measure all 10lbs of grain at once... So a scale that can handle 5 lbs would be fine if you measure off twice...

I know you want to save some money but honestly, grain and hop weighing really requires two different scales. For the grain, get one with a capacity up to 25-30 pounds with a nice large deck. For hops, get a pocket digital that does up to say 500 grams.

I know you want to save some money but honestly, grain and hop weighing really requires two different scales. For the grain, get one with a capacity up to 25-30 pounds with a nice large deck. For hops, get a pocket digital that does up to say 500 grams.

I disagree. The Escali is accurate to 1/10th of an ounce when weighing hops. Close enough for me. And though it would be nice if the max capacity were more than 11#, I can live with that.

My wife just got an Escali Primo for measuring out her candle making ingredients. I've started using it as well (not sure she likes that I do :p). It's a nice scale. It agrees with my spring-based kitchen scale at weights over about 4 oz, but at weights less than that my kitchen scale measures heavier (i.e., 1 oz of hops on the Escali weigh 1.2 oz on the kitchen scale). I assume the Escali is more accurate at those lighter weights, but I don't have a set of calibrated weights to check it with. Maybe I should look into that...

I just ordered a max 550 gram scale from ebay (hey can't argue with less than $10 shipped) for hops. I am still in need of a good one for grain though (I have either a digital bathroom scale, or a spring 1 lb scale, getting a little tired of measuring out grain 1 lb at a time)

At least now I can actually measure out .25 ounces of hops

I have the Escali Primo too and it works well for both hops and grain. I never put more than 5 lbs. on it at a time.

I bought mine from a company on eBay called Just Pounds and Ounces.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-50-LB-S...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

It was $0.96, they have lots of 35 lb and 50 lb capacity scales. Shipping was a little pricey but it still ends up cheap. Lifetime warranty too. Mine works great.
As luck would have it, right after I read your post I found the exact same item with zero bids, ending within a minute! I figured, what the heck? So I bid and won! That's a great price (including shipping) for a scale like that!

I was going to suggest to search for ultraship on ebay. Got a 55lb one for $30with shipping but it looks almost like the pounds and ounces one for half as much except that the front of the ultraship will detach from the base for big stuff.

Latest posts

Back