Rack and Cloth Press - sources for cloth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMJ

Reaction score
I am setting my press up to be a rack and cloth press, it seems there are hardly anymore sewing shops around anymore to search for pressing cloth material. Where have folks been getting their cloth material and what kinds have proved effective and reusable?

WVMJ

What size press are you working with? Many people use screen mesh from big box building supply (for larger presses).
I grabbed mine, just a 3.2 gal press, from the source of my press.

HI Sara, I think the screen goes up against the slats and not bag is used. It seems to be much more effective pressing if you do it in layers with a layer of crushed apples in some kind of cloth, a press plate, another layer of apples, another plate etc. Not sure if that would apply to a small press. The one I got off ebay is big enough to use 15x15 inch press plates. Unfortunately it seems Americans dont sew much anymore so its hard to find material. WVMJ

I use nylon insect screen material. Maybe you could buy insect netting at a camping shop. (in Australia we call it mosquito netting or mossie net).

Latest posts

Back