Re-pitching harvested nottingham ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halbrew

Reaction score
About ten days ago, i bottled a milk stout recipe and washed and harvested two mason jars of the nottingham ale yeast used in the recipe. I now want to brew a batch of edwort's haus pale and the question arises: Can i make a starter and pitch the yeast i harvested from the stout into the haus without any problems? I have not even the faintest clue how many cells of yeast i could have harvested in those jars, but i damn sure want to use them!

You sure can. Usually the main concern is sanitation or your washing process. I started getting unusual characteristics (slow fermentation, inconsistent FG) after a couple generations but it always worked really well otherwise.

Awesome. I was pretty anal about sanitizing all the parts to touch the yeast during the whole washing process, and when i went to the mason jars i overfilled to avoid headspace.
Well, i guess i better get that haus pale ale brewing and when it comes time for the yeast do their thing just let 'er rip!

Back