WLP400 and banana esters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adx

Reaction score
I brewed up a basic wit last week and pitched WLP400 Belgian Wit into it. I'm surprised by the amount of banana I smell out of the fermenter. I know that WLP300 will produce strong banana esters when it ferments at high temperatures, but I haven't read anything about banana with WLP400. The temperature has been a steady 70*F for 1 week. That's what I was shooting for since White Labs says 400 likes between 67*F and 74*F.

I'm not complaining, but I'm a bit surprised. Figured I'd give it another 5 to 7 days in the primary, then bottle and let rest for 2 to 3 weeks. I'm excited to try this one out!

It's an eatery yeast strain, next time try fermenting cooler, like 62-65F and see if which version you prefer. Hefeweizen strains usually say, ferment at 67-72F, but I always aim for 62F and theer comes out really balanced on the esters.

Back