28 Days Later...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speranza

Reaction score
Great movie! Now on to my question :D

3 days later and my Primary isn't doing anything... NOTHING I TELL YOU NOTHING! It's kinda ticking me off. I've never had this happen before so any suggestions? I have some Yeast Nutrients I could feed it but I don't think that would do anything. Is there any thing you guys suggest I should do before re-pitching?

TBH I think I killed my yeast, don't ask me how... *Holds up the "I'm a ******* sign"*

Temps good, little high (70s) but nothing bad. WLP029. Cheesefood's Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale recipe :mug: .

Bucket or glass? Can you actually see in it and stuff is swirling around or still? Is there a leak causing CO2 to leak out instead of out the airlock, especially if you have a bucket.

If it's a bucket, I would agree with Brewsmith. If you are using a carboy, try the step below.

1) If you have an initial hydro reading take a sample and see if the gravity has changed.

1. Did you make a yeast starter?
  2. Did you aerate the wort?
  3. What was the wort temp when you pitched?
  4. Can you see any krausen?
  5. Have you been playing close attention? Sometimes it'll finish out while you're away and you won't even know it...
  6. Have you taken SG readings?

Glass Carboy, No visible activity inside.

Evan! said:
  1. Did you make a yeast starter?
  2. Did you aerate the wort?
  3. What was the wort temp when you pitched?
  4. Can you see any krausen?
  5. Have you been playing close attention? Sometimes it'll finish out while you're away and you won't even know it...
  6. Have you taken SG readings?

1. No just warmed it up to room temp, liquid yeast vial thing. I'm keeping it for my "Mad Scientist" room =)
2. Splish Splash :D
3. Room tempish
4. no krausen
5. if this finished out i'd be utterly impressed since I have been watching it like a Hawk cause I have no room to brew anything else till this hits the secondary.
6. No but I may do that if I see nothing else in a day...

I would pitch some more yeast at this point. You must have gotten a bad vile. 3 days is a long time with no activity. This is another good reason to do a starter before you brew because you will know before you pitch if the yeast is viable.

Speranza said:
Glass Carboy, No visible activity inside.

1. No just warmed it up to room temp, liquid yeast vial thing. I'm keeping it for my "Mad Scientist" room =)

White Labs pitchable, then. How old was it? The older the yeast, the longer it takes to wake up.

Let this be a lesson- make starters, ieven if the yeast is "pitchable". You'll be glad you did.

Also, you say the wort temp was "room tempish". Did you use a thermometer or just guess?? Liquid that is room temp is actually going to feel cool to the touch. You should use a thermometer......

Bernie Brewer said:
White Labs pitchable, then. How old was it? The older the yeast, the longer it takes to wake up.

Let this be a lesson- make starters, ieven if the yeast is "pitchable". You'll be glad you did.

Also, you say the wort temp was "room tempish". Did you use a thermometer or just guess?? Liquid that is room temp is actually going to feel cool to the touch. You should use a thermometer......

Its room temp because the wort had to sit on my counter for 8 hours while I went to work because ran out of time to cool it properly =)

Back