Home Made crystal malt from 2row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCBrewer

Reaction score
I followed the instructions here : http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/08/home-roasting-your-malts/

I had a recipe that called for 0.5LB of Crystal 10L.

Since I had just purchased my first sack of breiss 2row (pale), I figured I might as well try my hand at turning it into crystal and add my own touch at malting my grains rather than purchasing a $2.98/lb 1lb sack of wymerman at my LHBS (Discount Liquer - super store on airline across from toys -r-us and a awesome viet. cuisine place called the bamboo garden (kid you not, I have never walked out of this place dissatisfied and without a to-go box)

Anyway, I wanted to say that the instructions are a little misleading, while I did leave my grains submerged in a pot of water for 12 hours, then heated at 154F for one hour, then to a boil, then cool and dry in oven at 260F for 4 hours then @ 170F for what ended up being 6 hours, then 20 minutes at 260F to get to around 10L in colour.

The malt smells sweet and on par for store bought 10L crystal perhaps a tad darker but well below what 20L would be perhaps a 14L is what I made. It did finish drying, and tasted wonderful.

Worth the work to know no-one else has access to the grain I made for my crystal malt. I made 2lbs. so that is enough for 20 gallons of pale ale.

I had the same idea but went with the Sudo-Caramel Malts (sic) option. I ended up getting some nice color. Probably a little more toward the 20L than the 10L, but it makes me think that a 55# sack is way more economical than I originally thought.

I get my crystal 40, 60 and 80 for $1.59/pound. My 2-row is around half that. I don't think saving a dollar or two per batch is worth all that, but that's just me. Electricity or gas-wise, you probably spent way more than that making it.

If you enjoy doing it, though, keep it up. After all, we could all just go buy beer from the store.

I applaud your decision to go native and roast your own grains. Certainly adds possibilitiues to 55 LB sacks of grains. I would be concerned about repeatability. It'd be a real shame to brew a great beer I couldn't repeat. As crystal is not that expensive here and it'd take me a year to use a 55# sack, I will probably keep buying as I brew.

Back