Loose Caps - Help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prpromin

Reaction score
Hey,
Just bottled my latest batch with Oxygen barrier caps. While checking the bottles before storing the batch, I noticed that I could turn the caps. I tried tightening them with my wing capper, but no luck. They seem tight otherwise - is this an issue? Do I need to recap the batch?

Thanks.

Thanks for the help. I just checked - my capper isn't reversible. I think your guess about wet caps/bottles is (hopefully) right on. They are not easy to turn and I can only do it with a towel wrapped around the tops, so I'm going to just relax and not worry too much.

Thanks again!

Reading this thread I just tried to twist the caps on an apricot ale that has been quite slow to carbonate for me...started to dig into my hand. When I went back with a towel and a vice like grip it broke the seal and made a hiss. If it is REALLY hard to twist with a towel I would think you are okay but we're talking in relative terms.

:off:I poured that bottle, it has a lovely mouthfeel and carbonation at room temperature, which confuses me since I thought carbonation was better after chilling and forcing CO2 back into solution with the beer. It also has this lovely, almost belgian flavor (I'm still quite a noob and don't know in belgians if that is phenols or esters) with just a hint of apricot, which may just be the was the apricot shows through for me. It fermented at 66 with S05 :confused: Zero head but I'm tempted to drink the rest of them warm. Scariest part is I thought I over primed these, 4.5 oz corn sugar as I thought I had closer to 5 gallons but only ended up with a tad over 4 in the bottling bucket, and I bottled them on 7/24.

Back