Kent Goldings, Willamette similar??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish Red a few months back with a generous amount of Willamette hops. This was my first time using Willamette. I was not a huge fan of the hop profile.

I just tasted an Ordinary Bitter that I brewed with Kent Goldings for the first time. The hop character is VERY similar to the Irish Red.

Are these two related???

Willamette is great. Every time I see "Fuggles" or "Styrian Goldings", I automatically replace it with Willamette. With EKG I would be a little more careful, though. I'd definitely swap out Willamette for a bittering EKG, maybe for a flavor EKG, but I'd avoid using it for an aroma substitution.

For me, the Willamettes can have a little more minty quality than Fuggles when used for flavoring/aroma.

Willamette is my house hop. Floral, a little spicy, and earthy. I use it in a lot of brews. But personally I'm not nuts about citrus character.

Willamette is my house hop. Floral, a little spicy, and earthy. I use it in a lot of brews. But personally I'm not nuts about citrus character.

I agree on the Willamette flavors,as I've used it before. I don't think Kent Golding is similar at all. More like herbs & lemon Grass. But I have used them together in English style ales. They work well together. And I think the citrus aroma/flavored hops get the lime light too much.

Back