heating element and regular 120V house outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamatuna

Reaction score
Hey guys

I am hoping t make an electric boil kettle and have been doing alot of research and it seems like almost all builds call for a 240V stove outlet. I was wondering if there is a way to convert this to a normal wall outlet since i do not have access to a 240 V outlet. I dont know if there are certain elements that i should use or?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

You can get heater elements that work on 120V instead of 240V, but you'll probably need two of them in your kettle since they aren't as powerful. Look for 1500W or 2000W elements. Those are almost always 120V.

Also, you will not be able to plug them into the same double-outlet on the wall.

2000W elements need 16.6A and 1500W elements need 12.5A. Most general purpose household outlets are fed by 15A breakers. Sometimes 20A breakers. But, that means you need to plug one element into an outlet fed by one breaker and then plug the other element into a different outlet powered by a different breaker.

I have been looking for something like that too so I can move inside during the winter. I am looking at putting a pot on the stove and then plug in a 2200 watt over the edge heating element. It looks like it works on any pot without drilling holes or anything and would add enough heat to my stove to get a quick boil with the combination. here is a link to one of them. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/electric-brew-heater-w-11-element.html
The way I see it, this and a stove should work.

I have been looking for something like that too so I can move inside during the winter. I am looking at putting a pot on the stove and then plug in a 2200 watt over the edge heating element. It looks like it works on any pot without drilling holes or anything and would add enough heat to my stove to get a quick boil with the combination. here is a link to one of them. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/electric-brew-heater-w-11-element.html

Yes, that will work. It's just crazy expensive.

To run that, you'll need a place to plug in that will give you 18.3A. So, a 20A circuit in your house, and nothing else can really be running on that same circuit while the heater is in use,

In the winter I use a 120V 1500W heatstick with my stove, it works great. I have 20A GFCI outlets near my stove, so for about $20 I was able to build my heatstick.

Back