425 bbls per year ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update and congratulations on the 2nd anniversary! I have one customer in Texas and they are 6hrs away in Arlington. So, I may never make it there.

Yesterday at 10 am registration for brewers began for the GABF. So at 9:58 I'm ready and when registration opens I get server unavailable for 2 hours then I get through and fill out the form quickly but it was already full ! We got put on the waiting list. I'm very disappointed :( with the registration process. The website says that it filled up in 2 days last year. I can't believe it's full in 2 hours ! Grrrrrrr !!!

Yeah, apparently a lot of people got wait listed for GABF.

If I had read this thread a year or so ago, I might've been able to stop by and taste your beers. I lived in Arizona for 5 years and traveled back and forth to Michigan visiting family during the summers. Drove past the Big Texan a bunch of times and never stopped. I'm moved back to Michigan now, but whenever the wife and I do a road trip out west we'll have to stop in and check out the brewery.

Howdy Yall ! Just released our new beer called Bomb City Bock ! That makes 13 of my beers on tap right now.
Honey Blonde
Jack Rabbit Red
1836 Chocolate Bock
Rattlesnake IPA
Palo Duro Pale Ale
Texas Red
Whiskey Barrel Stout
Raspberry Wheat
Pecan Porter
Whoop ur Donkey IIPA
Marshall Marzen Oktoberfest
Vanilla Porter
Phew!!! Trying to keep up with that is like juggeling cats !
The first pic is our latest growler label.
Just got back from the Craft Brewers Conference. We took the Big Texan mobile. The horn go's MOOOOOOOO... Lots of fun but now its time to get caught up. Summer is just around the corner and Spring break broke all the sales records in Big Texan history !
Produced 600bbls last year on our 3bbl system. Yes it can be done.
Still planning expansions... but there are a lot of hard decisions to make about whether to stay a brewpub and maximize profits or start distribution. (Texas law recently changed and allows brewpubs to distribute) Or do both :mug:
Stop by and ask for me. Ill give you a tour of our redneck brewery !

Growler label Impala 3.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

BT mobile.jpg

Just read the whole thread. Awesome to see its going so well. Congrats and keep us posted!

Nice to see you are still going. So you are basically brewing 4 times/week . Are you able to meet your demand or do you have a brew house or fermentation or bright tank bottleneck? I know that place is huge and a lot of people pass through there and just wonder if demand exceeds capacity.

Congrats on your success! Just read through the entire thread and sounds like you've got your hands full these days. I never made it out towards Amarillo when I lived in Texas (in California now), but if I do in the future, I'll be sure to stop by!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403791585.466143.jpg
We just celebrated our 3rd anniversary by offering a Hefeweizen ! I used a Bavarian yeast to get that banana taste. People are loving it !

Nice to see you are still going. So you are basically brewing 4 times/week . Are you able to meet your demand or do you have a brew house or fermentation or bright tank bottleneck? I know that place is huge and a lot of people pass through there and just wonder if demand exceeds capacity.

Limulus
It's really crazy but with 12 115 gal fermenters I can just barely meet the demand. In the slower months it works just right but in the summer I'm brewing about 5-6 days per week. I've got a guy that washes and fills kegs for me. I'm turning ales out in about 12 days and lagers out in 15-18 days. Then force carb the kegs and then hopefully they can clear for a few days. So to answer your question the choke point is that the setup is designed around a 3bbl brew house and 3 bbl fermenters. So we are working on a bigger system. We found some SS fermenters ( pictured below) at the scrap yard. Now I've got to build a bigger brew house and figure out where to put it all.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403802999.950722.jpg

Ah, capacity and expansion are always a good sign at a brewery! If you ain't expanding, you're going under. Congrats on all the success :mug:

Sorry it's been so long since I've updated this thread. The good news is that we are still rocking the homebrews 6 years now and the bad news is we still haven't upgraded to the stainless fermenters as we can't seem to find a place to put them. I did get 2 more 115 gallon plastic for a total of 14. I have 8 for ales and 6 for lagers. I divided the trailer so I can keep one area colder than the other. Also years back I built a CIP system for the fermentation tanks that has worked great and allows me to clean without scratching them and as you can see they have really lasted a lot longer than I ever expected. I still get drawings of planned expansion but I haven't seen ground breaking so I'll keep brewing 5-6 times a week until they build it or I die. Thanks for all the support and advise along the way. Without this forum I'm not sure I could have pulled this off. Stop by and ask for me if your ever in Amarillo TX. I'm there most everyday. Lol

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Wow, just read through this thread. i would say after this long you're doing something right! Congrats!

BTW, you can use the Letina wine tanks if you want a skinny footprint with a jacket. A lot of guys who went through Tom Hennessy's Brewery Immersion Course in Colorado use them. The Z1000C is a popular 7bbl size.

http://stpats.com/index.htm

Latest posts

Back