Strange issue with 240v legs. 120v on both, no 240v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmoor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am brewing today and on both of my boil kettles one of the elements are not working. When I test the relays I have 120v on each leg but when I measure across both legs I get weird readings of 7-20v. If I turn the relays off I get 240v across the legs but, turn on the relay again and I get the strange readings.

I have two 60amp circuits feeding each boil kettles. I have 3 element in each kettle. This seems to be a new issue. My last 6 brews everything worked fine.

Any suggestions?

What are your elements? Watt and voltage?

disconnect the elements from the relays and take an ohm reading across the element. What do you have. I know it sounds weird to lose two elements at the same time, but weirder things have happened in the wonderful world of electronics.

Ok problem solved. I was not thorough enough in my testing. I had two blown fuses.

The weird thing was I was getting voltage across the the fuses. So i just assumed they were ok. I did not test the ohms across them. Sure enough they were dead. All is well all my elements are firing.

Thank you.

Back