Question for anyone who has DIY'd a GE 7 CF (FCM7SUWW)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got my GE 7 CF freezer (FCM7SUWW) delivered today, woho. I started pulling it apart and taking measurements so I could make my trip to the hardware store only to find the lid isn't quite what I expected.

It is foam filled (of course) and the inside of the lid dips down into the freezer compartment a good 1.5". I trimmed out the overlapping liner and cut out the weather stripping (in one piece so I can reuse it) which leaves me with a 1" surface to work with.

My question is this... carve out all that plastic/insulation so it is flat or live with the bulge and use 1x8 vs 2x8?

Carving it out seems like it would be a real pita... not even sure where I would start. The problem not being getting the insulation out but leaving in the insulation that needs to stay, lol.

Here is an idea of what I'm talking about...

lid-trimmed.png

This is my first chest freezer too so for all I know this is a normal design. I just hadn't seen it mentioned in any of the keezer conversion/discussion threads so am clueless... nothing new for me really. :p

i used 1x lumber for mine and added a few layers of foam insulation around the collar on the inside. The foam has a better R value than wood so I considered it a win-win (less weight, more insulation).

Yeah I was planning to slap a few layers of foam inside the collar once everything was in place. I was just caught off guard when I thumped that bulge and realized it was solid foam, lol.

I used a 1x10 on mine. Also insulated it with the purple foam from home depot. Works great!

I had the same issue with mine. The 1 x 8 is plenty strong and, like brewmorebeers said, is lighter which will help down the road when you add that 4th, and 5th tap. Good luck with your build.

I used a 1x10 on mine. Also insulated it with the purple foam from home depot. Works great!

Actually that is a good idea. That way I can compensate for the lost space and still be able to fit everything up top that was going to go there (manifold, hoses, marine pump, etc).

I built my collar with a 2x10". 10" collar allows you to put one keg on the compressor hump so IMO its a no-brainer.

Right now I only have 2 kegs full. But yesterday I brewed 2 batches. Long day,but will be worth it to get the keezer full! People round here say you can get 5 cornies in there with a 1x10 collar. 3 on the floor and 2 on the hump.
I only have 4 right now. Will buy the 5th next week.

If you can, see what it would take to get one on the hump. I have a 9 cu ft and only used a 6" collar so I don't quite think I could do a keg there. It would be nice to have if you can though. Instead, I use that space for cold crashing a carboy and that fits fine

I got the lumber for a 10" collar to compensate for that lid bulge. That leaves me with enough room to use the hump for sure. Just measuring I would say an 8" collar might do it but it would be damn close. There is no way a 6" collar is enough though.

You have right about 18" of clearance from the hump to the bottom of the lid when it is closed. With a 6" collar that only brings you up to 24". Plenty of room for a 2.5 or 3 gal though if you want to spring for a couple of those.

The way I'm going is the four on the floor will be tapped and room for two on the hump for carbing and aging.

Yeah starting to tear it apart, and this thread, before I went hardware shopping is the only reason I caught it. Based on measurements alone, and not accounting for the way the lid is, I was going to go 6" too.

Back