Where to buy small Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvleemin

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for somewhere to buy a keg. I need a smaller keg (around 3 gallons) that will fit in the fridge attached to my tap. The soda canisters won't work because they are too tall.

I was wondering if someone knows where I can buy one of these.

Thanks,

Darryl

They are at least one of the big 3
Austin
Northern
MoreBeer

but.... expect to pay as much as 5 times as much money for them (in the $100 range). Might be cheaper to buy a used fridge.

olllllo said:
They are at least one of the big 3
Austin
Northern
MoreBeer

but.... expect to pay as much as 5 times as much money for them (in the $100 range). Might be cheaper to buy a used fridge.

Thanks.

The fridge is nicely built into the wall, so I don't want to touch it.

I assume the following is correct?

Austin = www.austinhomebrew.com
Northern = www.northernbrewer.com
MoreBeer = morebeer.com

Darryl

Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with the corney kegs, but is there an American Sankey connector on them - or can I add one?

Darryl

Are you just looking for a small keg itself or an entire compact setup? if keg alone, you can find them around. check here for an expensive example. About a year ago, that place had 4 reconditioned 2.5gal kegs which they sold to me for $40 each. They still aren't cheap with respect to volume, but I like to half keg/ half bottle and it's great not to waste the space by having a half-full 5gal keg. I bet you could find them somewhere cheap with some searching.....

dvleemin said:
Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with the corney kegs, but is there an American Sankey connector on them - or can I add one?

Darryl
Sankey and cornies (ball.locks) are totally different beasts. You could potentially split a system up to handle both, but you'd want to probably set up a whole mini-manifold with some valves and seperate pressure gagues to have homebrew and commercial on tap happily at the same time....kind of kills the "small space" idea tho...

dvleemin said:
Thanks!

Darryl

These are Corny. They have their own set of connectors, but you could buy 10 for the price of a Sanke connector. I have seen 5 gal cornies with a Sankey at a huge price premium ($200 maybe). If a 2.5 exists it'd be a museum piece and pricey to boot.

much better answer, olllllo! i somehow mentally mashed his question into thinking he was asking if cornies and sankey were the same......it pays to think and reread!!! :drunk: :D

Thanks everyone.

So I guess I should have clarified what I was looking for.

Right now I'm simply looking for a keg with an American Sankey connector that will fit in my fridge. I am planning on getting it filled at a local microbrewery. I do currently brew my own as well, but I got straight to bottles.

So it doesn't sound like corny kegs are a good fit for this at all .. .

Darryl

dvleemin said:
Thanks everyone.

So I guess I should have clarified what I was looking for.

Right now I'm simply looking for a keg with an American Sankey connector that will fit in my fridge. I am planning on getting it filled at a local microbrewery. I do currently brew my own as well, but I got straight to bottles.

So it doesn't sound like corny kegs are a good fit for this at all .. .

Darryl

Well actually it is if you're confortble paying $100 for a 2.5 gal corny. You need a gas in and a beer out that will run you $5 each.

You didn't mention CO2 or a regulator so maybe one of those all-in-deals I linked to is the answer.

olllllo said:
Well actually it is if you're confortble paying $100 for a 2.5 gal corny. You need a gas in and a beer out that will run you $5 each.

You didn't mention CO2 or a regulator so maybe one of those all-in-deals I linked to is the answer.

I'm confused. (Maybe I'm a bit slow :) )

I have everything but the keg - so the C)2 tank, reg, hoses, and Sankey tap.

What I don't understand is how to attach the tap to the keg - it the keg is a ball type keg, and not a Sankey keg.

Darryl

Some cornies are pin, but most are ball lock. In this case on the Northern Brewer site, http://www.northernbrewer.com/kegs-disconnects.html
the 2.5 gal cornie is ball lock #K002 Ball Lock Soda Keg 2.5 Gal.

Assuming your Sankey connector is attached via a beer nut like this:
beer-nuts.jpg

for the gas and liquid and these are crimped on to your gas hose and beer hose.

You would have to replace the beer nut with these:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/kegs-disconnects.html
#K012 Ball Disc 1/4 Barb Gas
#K013 Ball Disc 1/4 Barb Liq
ball-disconnects.jpg

Where Grey is gas and Black is beer.

You can use barbed or the MFL if you want an easier way to remove them.

I like the MFL because it allows you the ability to disconnect the hose easily for cleaning. The MFL requires the femaile fitting so more$$.

I am in the process of going all MFL.

hi folks new to brewing but already sick of cleaning bottles! thinking about ordering a tap a draft kit from the states (cant seem to find one in canada) does any body have any experience with these systems / are they worth there money

olllllo said:

WOW I just picked up two of these same two kegs last week from a guy who was cleaning out his shop and was going to throw them out. I had the same idea of splitting batches 1/2 kegged and 1/2 bottled once I got them home and mulled over what I could put them to use for.

They were caked with dust, but still in good condition one is missing both fittings and the other took air, but leaked really bad once I disconnected the pressure.

So a couple of new fittings and I'm good to go.

/ Now I just need to move the shelves around in the fridge and throw out those chicken cultures and baked beans :D j/k

Back