Getting the stirbar out of the starter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
I don't know anyone that tries to get their stirbar out of their starter. Everyone that I know just pitches it into the beer with the yeast. I was thinking of using a speaker magnet to keep the bar on the bottom of the flask when I pitch. Anyone do this? Sounds like a good idea to me.

What I just did was ran my stirplate up the side of the flask and pulled it out of the top. Simple enough!

SrirStarters.com sends you a "keeper magnet" to hold the stir bar in the flask when you pitch! Cool idea.

A mechanics magnet

After swirling the slurry to make it easy to pour I stick the magnet to the stir bar and pour

VOILA

I just hold the magnet on the side of the flask and then pour the starter in and the magnet holds the stirbar in the bottom of the flask.

I grab a magnet off the refrigerator and use it to slide the stir bar up the side and out the top before I pitch the starter. That way there is no chance of the stir bar ending up in the fermenter.

The magnet stays in my 2000ml flask just fine as long as I don't hold the thing completely upside down. No magnet needed. I plan on using a 1 gallon jug next time so we will see. I think it will do fine since the neck is so small and a sharp angle for the magnet to climb.

phpThumb.php

i use an egg shaped stirbar. works great and doesn't make that clinking noise that can happen with some straight bars. also nice because it's just big enough to get lodged in the bottom of the funnel when i pour in the yeast!

Back