Long mash time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willbrew

Reaction score
Would there be any problem if i left my mash in the tun for a little longer than an hour say 2 hours. I have something i need to take care of and i am going to have to leave my process

It depends on the beer you're making. If you allow the mash to continue dropping, the amount of fermentables will continue to increase because of the enzymes that will become active at the lower end of mash temps.

You also don't want to let it sit TOO long, or you start to extract tannins and off flavors from the grain. So if you're starting at 154 for a stout for instance, if you let it sit for two hours, you aren't going to get the body and mash profile for a stout if the temp drops down to 148 over the course of a couple of hours. Does that make sense?

That's not a problem at all. A lot of brewers (myself included) will set the mash and stabilize the temperature, then do whatever errands need to be done for a few hours (even do a full work day!) while the mash sits. If anything, it allows for more time for conversion to happen, which can only really be a positive thing. Happy brewing!

cuttsjp said:
That's not a problem at all. A lot of brewers (myself included) will set the mash and stabilize the temperature, then do whatever errands need to be done for a few hours (even do a full work day!) while the mash sits. If anything, it allows for more time for conversion to happen, which can only really be a positive thing. Happy brewing!

Thanks alot that makes me feel alot better.
I was pretty concerned when i had to leave
so abruptly. Now im back and ready to collect the fruits of my labor. Thanks again

Back