Storing Unused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewer1426

Reaction score
Hello all. Question from a Newb...

I've tried looking and found some ideas on storing the DME (wal-mart cereal containers was the last thing I saw). Most people don't suggest storing the LME for long periods of time. But if you do, store them in the fridge.

But what about the containers of the liquid base?

For example; I'm still using my FisherPrice/Mr.BeerKit 2.5 gallon (I just started HBing on 10/12). I saw that there are a ton of these TrueBrew, Coopers, and Muntons that use the Malt Extracts (You can get various styles; stout, red, pilsners, etc) in LARGE containers meant for 5-6 gallon brews.

I'm wondering if I can use 1/2 of one of these, and then store the rest in a container or something to use again. No specific recipe, I'm just wondering the fesability and the duration of storage for such a thing.

Thank you all.

the main problem with storing liquid extract is contamination. its is prime for bugs to grow in and eat, and even though you boil it before use the off flavors will already be there. storing it in the fridge will slow them down but not stop them. freshness is an issue to but the bugs are likely to get to it before that becomes a problem. dry extract stored in a cool dry place will last longer but still will have freshness issues over long periods.

I think I would probably buy the DME and use half. Seems like it would stay better in some ziplock bags and a fridge than the rest of a can of LME. No experience in the matter personally, but that is just how it seems.

Okay that seems like everything that I've been reading. Basically; "Okay to store DME, LME use when you get it."

So that being said, if you took one of those 2lb canisters (of Coopers or whatever brand), and dumped it in for a 2.5gal batch, would that be overkill on the taste? I assume it would be extremely potent.

Okay that seems like everything that I've been reading. Basically; "Okay to store DME, LME use when you get it."

So that being said, if you took one of those 2lb canisters (of Coopers or whatever brand), and dumped it in for a 2.5gal batch, would that be overkill on the taste? I assume it would be extremely potent.

The cans (3.3lbs ish I believe) are meant to have additional fermentables added, coopers suggests a bunch of sugar and DME that they sell separately. They are however the sole source of hops for the 5gal batch, so while you could probably use one to make a smaller batch and just not add more fermentables, you will most likely end up with a much hoppier (and maltier, as it's not thinned out by corn sugar) brew than if you had brewed using the exact directions.

Take that as you will, I can't really say whether it would be good or not... but it will definitely be a lot stronger flavored. Might be worth a shot considering how cheap the cans are, but make sure you choose a kit that would taste alright a bit stronger.

Kilgore, thanks. If I were to dump some DME (1/2 lb lets say, reserving the other 1/2 lb), I take it that would help to lighten it up a bit?

Kilgore, thanks. If I were to dump some DME (1/2 lb lets say, reserving the other 1/2 lb), I take it that would help to lighten it up a bit?

If you add DME to that can and make it as a 2.5 gal batch, it's going to make it maltier, which could potentially balance out the hops. It definitely WILL NOT lighten it up. It will make it maltier and up the ABV. The only way to "lighten it up" is use less of the can (or more water).

Understood. Thank you very much for the feedback.

*Back to the 'library' to do some more HB reading*

Back