First AG - Calculating Mash & Sparge volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bringitonhome

Reaction score
Hi-
I apologize. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I want to make sure I have it right.
I'm going to make a Scottish 60/- Untitled (the second one - with the specialty grains) and I'm not 100% on my mash/sparge calculations. This is a five gallon batch. So, I would start with a 2qt/lb mash ratio - that would be 13qts. Figure .5qt/lb absorption, leaving me with ~9.75qt of first runnings (i will measure exactly at this point during the process). Now, this is all new equipment for me (turkey fryer, 38.5qt SS kettle - 14.5"Diax16"H), so is 1gal/hr a good evaporation rate? This is a 90-min boil, so I would expect to lose 1.5 gal, making my target boil vol 6.5 gal. that's 26qt - 9.75qt = 16.25qt, or two equal sparges of ~8 qt each.

Sound about right?

Hi-
I apologize. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I want to make sure I have it right.
I'm going to make a Scottish 60/- Untitled (the second one - with the specialty grains) and I'm not 100% on my mash/sparge calculations. This is a five gallon batch. So, I would start with a 2qt/lb mash ratio - that would be 13qts. Figure .5qt/lb absorption, leaving me with ~9.75qt of first runnings (i will measure exactly at this point during the process). Now, this is all new equipment for me (turkey fryer, 38.5qt SS kettle - 14.5"Diax16"H), so is 1gal/hr a good evaporation rate? This is a 90-min boil, so I would expect to lose 1.5 gal, making my target boil vol 6.5 gal. that's 26qt - 9.75qt = 16.25qt, or two equal sparges of ~8 qt each.

Sound about right?
After you measure your first runnings, just add X amount of sparge water to get your preboil volume, split into 2 equal sparges, I think you will lose more than 1.5 gallons in 90 min. but you will have to make that decision, remember to boil hard, hope this helps, and good luck on your brew.

Back