Calling Fellow VT Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpamDog

Reaction score
Ok, I need some help from someone.. I have a Maple Porter that started at 1.102sg and only got to 1.048sg. I have tried adding more yeast and even a wine/champagne yeast to no avail. As I don't have the option of finishing my kegging setup I was hoping someone with a kegging setup and bottle filler would help me get these into some bottles. I would of course be willing to split the batch with you as payment for your help.
Any takers? I know that I can't get my setup going yet and would hate to send this batch down the drain because I can't get it to carbonate.
I am in Franklin county but would be willing to make a day trip if needed..

Thanks!

SpamDog

SpamDog I wish I could help. I'm down in CT but planning on moving back up to VT in January. But you can't wait that long so I wish you luck.

Depending what/how you made it, it could simply be a high-gravity finish of non-fermentables - not always a bad thing, though you might think that from some discussions here and elsewhere.

You've added high-test yeast and nothing has happened - perhaps there is nothing there for the yeast to work on. Have you tried adding more sugar, as you would for bottle carbing, to see if you get any activity - perhaps pull off a 12 oz sample, feed it 3 grams of sugar, and put it aside for a couple of weeks - or put an airlock on it and see if it has activity (faster than waiting for one bottle to carb, as a test case).

Just south of the border, no kegs, no intention of kegs. But I've bottled a brew with an fg of 1.050 and it bottle carbed just fine - no bombs either - just mondo non-fermentables and a lot of body.

Ecnerwal, Interesting.. I never thought of that.. I am going to have to try a test sample as you say. Well I thank you for giving a worried brewer some new hope. If that is the case I think you might have earned yourself a few bottles as a thankyou gift.. I'll keep everyone updated.. I'm off to get a sample!

SpamDog

Hey SpamDog, if you still end up needing to keg->carb->bottle, I might be able to help you out. I'd only charge you a couple of bottles ;)

Latest posts

Back