Aging in keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinibrew04

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing a winter warmer style beer soon. I probably won't drink any until thanksgiving/later Nov, and i recently came upon some used cornies at a reasonable price. After it finishes in the secondary can i keg it and leave it in the basement uncarbonated to age for awhile. Unfortunately i don't have enough cold storage. Should i leave it uncarbed or carb it?? As always, thanks for the advice...also assuming I'd need to purge the oxygen from the keg as well.

I'm thinking about brewing a winter warmer style beer soon. I probably won't drink any until thanksgiving/later Nov, and i recently came upon some used cornies at a reasonable price. After it finishes in the secondary can i keg it and leave it in the basement uncarbonated to age for awhile. Unfortunately i don't have enough cold storage. Should i leave it uncarbed or carb it?? As always, thanks for the advice...also assuming I'd need to purge the oxygen from the keg as well.

I age all of my beers in a keg, I keep them in a chest freezer at 50f. I also keep them uncarbonated, but I make sure to purge the keg with co2.

Second Wildwest's comments. I have aged kegs for years now. Heck, I go straight from the primary to the keg, purge the O2 and pumped in some CO2 to set the seals and let it set. All you have to do when your reading to serve, is just dump out the first couple of ounces and then good to go.

Back