flat f@#*ing tire scottish 80/-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
yesterday 10 minutes in to my mash I get a call from my wife. She is at school (about 45 minutes away) and she just noticed that she has a flat tire. so long story short I mashed for about 3 hours and while I was gone the thermometer (probe) fell in to the mash. My temps on my sparge water ??? my back up thermometer sucks, I really need to "calibrate" that thing what good is a thermometer if the reading is off. so any way I think my 80/- turned out to be a 60 /- fanfluckingtastic. sorry for the rant I just had to get that off my chest.

up next: late to the party 080808 RIS, Im hoping that brew day turns out a little better than this last one did

killian said:
yesterday 10 minutes in to my mash I get a call from my wife. She is at school (about 45 minutes away) and she just noticed that she has a flat tire. so long story short I mashed for about 3 hours and while I was gone the thermometer (probe) fell in to the mash. My temps on my sparge water ??? my back up thermometer sucks, I really need to "calibrate" that thing what good is a thermometer if the reading is off. so any way I think my 80/- turned out to be a 60 /- fanfluckingtastic. sorry for the rant I just had to get that off my chest.

up next: late to the party 080808 RIS, Im hoping that brew day turns out a little better than this last one did

Sounds like we need to get together and blend our Scotties. I dunno what the hell happened, my 80d. turned out a specific gravity of 1.066 at 84 degrees ... that's .018 over what I was shooting for. What's your O.G. now, anyway? It might not be so bad, you might just end up with a very dry Scotty from all the extended low-temp beta gluc action, and you could possibly fix that and restore some Scotch flavor by draining off a gallon of your wort and boiling it down to a quart to get some kettle-caramelized nonfermentable sugars involved ... or mixing a pound of amber DME into three quarts of water, boiling it down to a pint and a half, cooling it down and tossing it in there.

Bet it turns out great anyway. Good luck!

--Finn

Please allow me to harvest a nit:

Finn - "80d" is "80 pence", which is 6.66666 shillings.

"d" is the abbreviation of the archaic "denarius", and has after decimalization been replaced by "p". Shillings are denoted by "/". Thus, 80 shillings was "80/-", five pence was "5d", and ten shillings thruppence was "10/3".

£1 = 20 shillings (20s or 20/-)
1 shilling = 12 pence (12d)
£1 = 240 pence
bob = shilling
quid = pound (£)
guinea = 21/-
half-guinea 10/6
groat = 4d
farthing = 0.25d

Pre-decimal English currency is a *****! :mug:

Cheers,

Bob

BobNQ3X said:
Please allow me to harvest a nit:

Finn - "80d" is "80 pence", which is 6.66666 shillings.

"d" is the abbreviation of the archaic "denarius", and has after decimalization been replaced by "p". Shillings are denoted by "/". Thus, 80 shillings was "80/-", five pence was "5d", and ten shillings thruppence was "10/3".

£1 = 20 shillings (20s or 20/-)
1 shilling = 12 pence (12d)
£1 = 240 pence
bob = shilling
quid = pound (£)
guinea = 21/-
half-guinea 10/6
groat = 4d
farthing = 0.25d

Pre-decimal English currency is a *****! :mug:

Cheers,

Bob

good to know! Thanks for the correction. :mug:

Im a dumbazz I sparged with to much water. I just realized I collected 4 gallons instead of 3 so I was actually right with my calculations. my OG was .040 I was shooting for .056.

yea I think this is gonna turn out pretty dry, I uesd nottingham also (what I had on hand) Im thinking of calling this one in the desert with no skirt.

killian said:
what is that about big ed?

Just a suggestion. If your wife has a 45 minute solo commute, calling AAA to change her tire or open her door the day she locks her keys in the car is a hell of a lot better than interupting a brew session. :mug:

Back