Gluten Free Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hjherbenson

Reaction score
Brewed up a Gluten free brew today all went smooth already getting some bubbles in my airlock.:rockin:

Gluten Free Old Ale
19-A Old Ale

Size: 5 gal
Efficiency: 100.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 501.64 per 22 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.082 (1.060 - 1.090)
Terminal Gravity: 1.020 (1.015 - 1.022)
Color: 11.4 (10.0 - 22.0)
Alcohol: 8.09% (6.0% - 9.0%)
Bitterness: 39.09 (30.0 - 60.0)

Ingredients:
1 tbsp 5.2 pH Stabilizer - added during boil, boiled 60 min
12.0 lbs White Sorghum Malt Liquid
1 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.25 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 oz Corriander seeds - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.0 tsp Super Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 10 min
0.3 oz Orange Peel (dried) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 tbsp Wyeast Nutrient - added dry to primary fermenter
0.7 tsp Orange Peel (dried) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
0.6 oz Candi Sugar Amber
1 ea Danstar Windsor

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29

Is there a gluten free kit you can buy? Im still a little nervous about creating my own beer recipes, and one of my best friends is allergic to gluten so I would like to make him some beer, maybe half a batch (2.5 gallons)

Most grains used for bread/ beer contain gluten which in bread allows the dough to stick together elastisity? anyway some are allergic to it even the slightest bit can cause some real problems. There are some gluten free grains for beer sorghum is most common. Busch makes one called Redbridge not a bad tasting beer different but when you can't have the real thing it's kind of nice. Anyway I'm try to get a good recipe down for a few friends here who appreciate the effort.

worxman02 said:
Is there a gluten free kit you can buy? Im still a little nervous about creating my own beer recipes, and one of my best friends is allergic to gluten so I would like to make him some beer, maybe half a batch (2.5 gallons)
I haven't seen any kits I get the extract from Northern Brewer $10.?? 6# use it as a pale ale use you favorite hops and any flavorings you want as long as they are gluten free. I believe Wyeast also makes a liquid gluten free yeast.

Thanks for the post. I've got a friend with Celiac's and is begging me to make a GF beer.

What can be added to darken it up?

Regarding the Gluten Free Old Ale
19-A Old Ale recipe -- I was about to put a batch of similar ingredients together for first time GF brew. Difference is in the amount of sorghum syrup -- this recipe calls for 12# and mine for 6#. I keep reading how the sorghum syrup is SWEETER than the barley malt...so, does this mean you'll get a higher alcohol content with #12 sorghum recipe? Also, is the 5.2 Ph stabilizer necessary? Is the candi sugar amber to be added in before bottling?

Regarding the Gluten Free Old Ale
19-A Old Ale recipe -- I was about to put a batch of similar ingredients together for first time GF brew. Difference is in the amount of sorghum syrup -- this recipe calls for 12# and mine for 6#. I keep reading how the sorghum syrup is SWEETER than the barley malt...so, does this mean you'll get a higher alcohol content with #12 sorghum recipe? Also, is the 5.2 Ph stabilizer necessary? Is the candi sugar amber to be added in before bottling?

What is the size of your boil?

If you only use 6# of the sorghum syrup, your OG won't be in the range of 1.060 - 1.090 which is the target for an Old Ale.

I'd boil the candi sugar for the full 60 minutes.

Could be the difference between Pale Ale and Old Ale? The amount of sorghum syrup? My recipe is for a PALE ALE.

Boil voume - according to the recipe is 4.36 gallons, batch size - 5.25 gallons. I'm concerned though, because the original recipe has buckwheat partial mash and I was not planning to use the buckwheat. So that probably changes everything, right?

Boil voume - according to the recipe is 4.36 gallons, batch size - 5.25 gallons. I'm concerned though, because the original recipe has buckwheat partial mash and I was not planning to use the buckwheat. So that probably changes everything, right?

You could steep the buckwheat if you wanted... If you want to post the recipe that might be easier, I have a recipe in my drop down and I think there's a GF Pale Ale recipe around here somewhere...

Recipe I have calls for 21 days primary fermentation at 68.0F and 7 days at 68.0F for secondary. Seems like a long time on the primary. Other folks have told me a good standard is 10 days primary and 10 days on the secondary for fermentation. Does it depend on what kind of beer you are making? This is an English Pale Ale that I'm making. What if the air-lock is showing very little bubble action after 7 days?

Recipe I have calls for 21 days primary fermentation at 68.0F and 7 days at 68.0F for secondary. Seems like a long time on the primary. Other folks have told me a good standard is 10 days primary and 10 days on the secondary for fermentation. Does it depend on what kind of beer you are making? This is an English Pale Ale that I'm making. What if the air-lock is showing very little bubble action after 7 days?

You could use either of those schedules, I don't think it would matter, meaning- it's entirely up to you and your schedule. See this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/when-go-primary-secondary-if-all-43014/

Just because the airlock isn't showing any activity doesn't mean that fermentaion has stopped.

We just racked to the secondary carboy -- looks like unfiltered apple juice, smells like beer. Recipe called for 21 days in primary and 7 in secondary. Of course, we're off already if one is supposed to be following the recipe! We'll see.

When should a yeast nutrient be added to wort? In transferring to the secondary, the wort does not seem to be bubbling very much.

I have been trying to germinate buckweat, millet and quinoa. I have already let them sit in water for two days, i then transfered them to a clay pot where they have been sitting with a towl over them for four days now. I noticed that some of the smaller grains have started to sprout but the buckweat shows no signs of germination. I have been stiring them up 3 to 4 times a day inorder to prevent overheating from the germination but i am still not seing the desired results. Any suggestions?

I have been trying to germinate buckweat, millet and quinoa. I have already let them sit in water for two days, i then transfered them to a clay pot where they have been sitting with a towl over them for four days now. I noticed that some of the smaller grains have started to sprout but the buckweat shows no signs of germination. I have been stiring them up 3 to 4 times a day inorder to prevent overheating from the germination but i am still not seing the desired results. Any suggestions?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/malting-gluten-free-grains-135919/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/im-malting-away-gluten-free-sorghum-30036/

or this download the PDF it has time/temps for misc gluten free grains and an overview of his process.

I rinsed my grains about every 8-12 hours for a few days then let sit out. I think an air rest between rinsing might help even more, but I'm not sure. Good luck :mug:

I've gotten quinoa to malt in 2 days. I malted some buckwheat over the thanksgiving break. The 4th day was monday morning and they needed a few more hours. Of course that ended up being the day I had to put in a ton of over time and I couldn't get back to them until it was too late. 13 hours without rising or moving them around and they were stinky and over modified. I'm going to try mashing them to see what I get, but I'm not planning on keeping it around.

Millet... I can't get 'em to malt at all.

I've gotten quinoa to malt in 2 days. I malted some buckwheat over the thanksgiving break. The 4th day was monday morning and they needed a few more hours. Of course that ended up being the day I had to put in a ton of over time and I couldn't get back to them until it was too late. 13 hours without rising or moving them around and they were stinky and over modified. I'm going to try mashing them to see what I get, but I'm not planning on keeping it around.

Millet... I can't get 'em to malt at all.

Thats because you need the millet that isn't de-husked. I think you could probably get it from a store that sells bird feed...

Perhaps... Although, I have no problems with hulled buckwheat. How's the sorghum coming along?

Perhaps... Although, I have no problems with hulled buckwheat. How's the sorghum coming along?

I haven't done anything else with it and I haven't done any more malting, just got a little busy and about to roll into busy season at work. One of these weekends though, I'll do something with it :tank:

Back