Turkey Fryer Kettle for Boil Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sending my dad a beginner kit for a retirement/birthday gift and flying home to impart the knowledge that i've gained from all of you. he's got a turkey fryer setup with a propane stand burner and a big stainless kettle, and i'm wondering if it's kosher to use that kettle for boiling wort? i know some of us, me included, wouldn't dare use a kettle for both fryin turkey and boiling beer, but beyond the snobbery is it ok to use so long as it's clean, etc? i'm just thinking that maybe the grease that's been in there in the past might have an affect on the wort, maybe leave an oil slick or a taste. he's as anal as i am and i know that thing is spotless after every use, so can we use it or do i need to add $100 to the order?

thanks!

Clean it really good and then hit it with BFK. I'd fill it full of water after wards and let it get good and hot then dump it. After that, should be good to go. I sure wouldn't drop the money on a new one, especially if dear ol' dad decides he doesn't like home brew.

I'd do as the previous poster said and clean it first with something that cuts grease (maybe simple green, or at least some dish soap) and then clean it with some barkeeper's friend.

If you try boiling some water in it before you use it for brewing, I would think that if there were still any grease in it you'd be able to see it as a film on the surface of the water afterward, which would be a pretty easy final check. In all though, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about as long as you clean it properly.

I brew with my 8 gallon stainless turkey fryer kettle and I still do turkeys in to too.

It's stainless, so a soak in hot water with Oxyclean or PBW with followed by a scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend and you are good to go.

Back