Clarity Ferm & Whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_dub4t

Reaction score
I have found great success using clarity ferm when creating "gluten free" beers for relatives in the past. I know that its intended purpose is to eliminate chill haze.

Whirlfloc is a clarifying agent. Is there any reason to use both whirlfloc and clarity ferm? I am assuming that whirlfloc will not help chill haze specifically, but am unsure. Is there any advantage to using both? Do their intended purposes overlap at all?

I will be using clarity ferm regardless due to the "gluten-free-ization" qualities, but was wondering if whirlfloc could also provide some sort of benefit also?

On a side note, would anyone see a problem with using fermcap also in this beer? Do any of these additives affect each other negatively?

Thanks ahead of time!

Currently attempting a batch of "gluten-free" Oatmeal stout using Clarity Ferm. I'm going to take a SWAG on this. I think Whirlfloc and Clarity Ferm serve similar purposes, but use two different methods. Whirlfloc increases wort flocculation which helps solids precipitate out of solution and sink to the bottom, while Clarity Ferm enzymatically breaks down the proteins which ultimately increases the clarity of the brew. Exactly how Clarity Ferm works is beyond me though.

I have found great success using clarity ferm when creating "gluten free" beers for relatives in the past. I know that its intended purpose is to eliminate chill haze.

Whirlfloc is a clarifying agent. Is there any reason to use both whirlfloc and clarity ferm? I am assuming that whirlfloc will not help chill haze specifically, but am unsure. Is there any advantage to using both? Do their intended purposes overlap at all?

I will be using clarity ferm regardless due to the "gluten-free-ization" qualities, but was wondering if whirlfloc could also provide some sort of benefit also?

On a side note, would anyone see a problem with using fermcap also in this beer? Do any of these additives affect each other negatively?

Thanks ahead of time!

Read the warnings and cautionary statements on fermcap before you use it. I did. That's why I don't use it. Yeah, it's a bit silly to talk about food safety when I'm drinking a substance containing a known toxin, fermented by yeast which produce a greenhouse gas. But whatever. I still won't use it.

bumping this because I'm also interested in the whirlfloc/clarity ferm combo. Also, what about clarity ferm and gelatin?

I've been using clarity ferm in almost all my beers for the last few months. I don't see any reason to use anything to clear the beer. I usually have fairly clear results anyway....but with clarity ferm my beer is crystal clear...the appearance is comparable to filtered commercial beer.

Awesome, thanks! My clarity ferm test is with a stout, so clarity isn't important. Just using it to remove the gluten.

Back