Pitched yeast into too warm of wort - how high is too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStyler

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Beginning brewer who has yet to really embrace RDWHAHB just yet...

I was on my second brew last night, an APA kit from Brewer's Best, with upgraded yeast to Wyeast 1056 - American Ale. I unfortunately did not buy enough ice this time around to sufficiently cool the wort in the kettle in proper time. I know this can cause chill haze, but at this stage of the game, I couldn't care less about chill haze. I also boiled 2 gallons or so of water and put it in the primary fermenter to cool (per John Palmer...) Now the issues - I waited for more than an hour for the wort to cool, it didn't get to the 70* temp that I wanted, and I was out of time for this little project so had to just throw the wort in the fermenter and pitch. Unfortunately the temp of the 5 gallons of wort was somewhere between 86-88 F. I read somewhere that 80 was the absolute tops.

I checked on the airlock this morning, and it didn't smell like the vodka that was in there, but in fact a sort of beer like smell - however no bubbling.

Think I'm just jumping the gun here on worrying about this?

Thanks guys

Back