English Brown or Nut Brown recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
Next weekend I’m going to do my first batch from a recipe (no kit). I want to do English brown ale or nut brown ale (ala Newcastle or Samuel Smiths). Does anyone have an extract recipe they can recommend?

Here's my Underground Ale recipe, similar brew to Newcastle:

2oz crystal 55
2oz chocolate malt
1oz black patent malt

6lbs light DME

1/2oz Target 8%AA for 60 minutes
1/2oz EK Goldings 4.75%AA for 15 minutes

Please note, these hop additions are calibrated for a 2.5gallon boil so you may need to adjust if you are using less water.

Here's mine:

3.3 pounds amber LME
2 lbs amber DME

8 oz crystal crystal malt 60L

1 oz Willamette 60 minutes
1/2 oz Willamette 5 minutes

Yeast (I used dry Nottingham both times)

Steep crystal in grain bag in 2 gallons water at 155 for 20 minutes. Discard grains. Bring to a boil, add LME and DME (take off heat while adding!). Bring to a boil again, and add bittering hops. Boil 55 minutes and add finishing hops. Cool to 70 degrees and add water to 5 gallons. Pitch yeast.

OG should be 1.046
FG should be 1.012

This tastes remarkable similar to Newcastle to me.

The reason you take it off of the heat is so that you do not scorch the malt.

LME can sink to the bottom very fast. If you're over a good flame it's easy to scorch. Burnt flakes floating around the wort aren't really a good thing.

I'm a few batches into homebrewing and generally a good direction-follower, so i never had to deal with floaty malties. Maybe you could make them intentionally and market it as a breakfast cereal?:D

:off: BTW, just had my 2nd taste/bottle of Nut Brown Ale (+1% boost) and wow. I'm sweating and feel pretty good. Long Live Beer!:rockin:

Back