Best kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only brewed 5 gallon batches thus far, but plan on moving up to 10 as soon as I either build my brutus type sculpture or buy one. I currently use a 15 gallon kettle (Blichmann if that matters), and love it. I was using a 10 gallon kettle before and always had boilovers, or had to watch it like a hawk, which is why I went to 15 gallon. I have been debating on getting a 20 gallon bk for doing 10 gallon batches to minimize boilovers, but have not decided yet.
As far as brand/type, I decided against keggles because I brew in an apartment and clean the kettles in my sink, and keggles just wouldn't work. I haven't fully decided on brand, but I'm leaning towards Blichmann because I like the dimensions better, Most other kettles are wider than they are tall, which leads to a larger boil off rate. Plus I like they're false bottom and snap on dip tube. Prices are pretty much equal if you consider all the options, but you don't need all the options on every kettle.

Alrighty then
It would help if you would prioritize the criteria for us.

Functions for 5 and 10 gallon batches- YES, mostly 5 gal now, but mostly 10gal when set up for it
Ball Valve- YES
Thermometer- YES, no plans for electronics
Site Glass- YES, I REALLY like this feature
Welded -Doesn't matter
Weldless - Doesn't matter they both not a deal breaker
Price - doesn't matter
Ready out of the box - I'd like this
Don't mind Customizing- Rather not
Gas Fired - YES
Electric - Not in the plans

If money were no object, I'd still have my keggles. One day, when Blichmann is on their 10th revision of their finest boil pot, it will look just like a keggle.

• The bottom of the keggle is curved just perfectly. It has rolled solid rims on the top and bottom to both provide structural integrity and beautifully funnel the heat around the curved bottom surface (if you use a burner).
  • Large handles are provided. Ribbing and the rolled rims entirely inhibit any flexing.
  • There are no interior "corners" into which your spoon or stirrer can't reach.

I've never had a blichmann pot, but I don't see the allure. I do understand that there is some DIY effort involved with putting together a usable keggle, so that is understandably an issue for some folks.

Agreed.

You forgot to mention that a 15 gallon Blichmann (equivalent to a 15 gallon keggle) costs around 10x more than a keg that most people can find on CraigsList for around $40-$50 (what I've paid for mine in the past).

See Layne there are many opinions on the subject. You need to give it some thought. Some like keggles, I don't like mine nearly as well as my pots. If money wasn't an issue I would get the Polarware 15 gallon pots with sight tubes and couplings for valves. Just me, and yes they are way more expensive than keggles. The Polarwares are heavy duty and come with the options you want. I'm using my 10 gallon for my smaller batches and a hopback/grant for my larger batches. Really a nice pot. Only thing wrong with it is cost. I know you like the Blingman. I read some of your post on Kill-O-Watt. I wish I had bought a pot when I bought my keg. Not that there is anything wrong with keggles at all, just my opinion. Not that my opinion is worth much. :D

My recommendation would be to get the 15 gallon MegaPot and have site glasses installed. The Polarwares have a better profile, but at that price point, you might as well go Blichmann.

Agreed.

You forgot to mention that a 15 gallon Blichmann (equivalent to a 15 gallon keggle) costs around 10x more than a keg that most people can find on CraigsList for around $40-$50 (what I've paid for mine in the past).

Umm, you cannot compare a decked out kettle to a keg that isnt even converted yet. :D

People pay $300 for decked out keggles, that is about 10x more than a keg too :confused:

Umm, you cannot compare a decked out kettle to a keg that isnt even converted yet. :D

People pay $300 for decked out keggles, that is about 10x more than a keg too :confused:

Spot on! It's needs to be an equivalent comparison which includes the modifications and accessories.

One other thing I don't like about the Blingmans. IIRC, the dip tube is only 3/8" OD. Snap in or not, I would much prefer a 1/2" ID tube.

Spot on! It's needs to be an equivalent comparison which includes the modifications and accessories.

One other thing I don't like about the Blingmans. IIRC, the dip tube is only 3/8" OD. Snap in or not, I would much prefer a 1/2" ID tube.

True true, but most fittings and/or pump outlets are only 3/8 ID anyhow. I can get 6-7 gal/min through the Blichman dip tube and LG pump for my kettle recirc. though

The LG pumps have a 3/4" inlet (1/2" ID) but only a 1/2" outlet (3/8" ID)

Maybe the larger dip tube would help with a prime issue

My LG pump has 1/2" ID NPT on both inlet and outlet. I don't want anything less than 1/2" ID anywhere in the circuit and especially so on the suction side of the pump. That's my main objection to the 3/8" OD Blingman dip tube as it's on the suction side.

In my brewing time I started with a turkey fryer pot with no options I would just pour the wort into the bucket and be done with it. I moved up to a keggel with a welded coupler and SS ball valve added a site glass and brewed for about 2 years with that.

I am now back to an aluminum kettle I believe this pot came off a navel ship or army kitchen its about 12mm thick with welded handles and just has that utilitarian look to it. The 30 gallon kettle heats faster IMHO and is easier to move around. Added a SS weldless valve and a site glass,I wont go back to a keggle . YMMV but it was the best for me in my situation.

My HLT is a 60 qt aluminum kettle also .

I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if I am repeating...

I would purchase a 15g Blichmann BoilerMaker. Then modify the kettle so that the Thermo hole was used as my circulation return and move the thermometer down to be positioned between the bottom ball valve and the return ball valve.

I think the Blichmanns are the best brewpot available. Best features, great quality, and an ideal size/shape. They are not overpriced at all for what you get.

I have AllClad cookware that is made this way, and it heats very evenly. This might be useful when using a flame. Personally, I don't think it is important at all for cooking liquids.

I am also a loyal All-Clad consumer and agree that it doesn't matter for heating non-viscous liquid so long as you have reasonably even/gentle heating as you would with gas or propane.

Everyone always mentions that kegs are heavy, and maybe I will change my mind when I get older but I could easily walk down the block and back with an empty keggle in each hand and I am not a very big guy. It might matter if you lift it with a bunch of stuff in it, but shop vacs start at like $40, you should never have to lift a kettle with anything in it.

My primary gripes about keggles would be that the lip and the ridges make them somewhat harder to clean.

My primary gripe about blichmann's are that they use weldless and that you have no options in terms of configuration (in terms of sight glasses and thermometers).

I might be biased but for my preferences the best off the shelf option with no consideration for price is the Sabco keggles. Everything (including the thermometer) connects via tri-clamps so it is very fast to disassemble for cleaning. There are multiple configurations available as well and I imagine they would do a custom configuration.

Of course if you know a good stainless welder, you could just buy polarware pots (or legally acquire new or used kegs) and do the same, probably cheaper.

Quote..."I would purchase a 15g Blichmann BoilerMaker. Then modify the kettle so that the Thermo hole was used as my circulation return and move the thermometer down to be positioned between the bottom ball valve and the return ball valve."...

Thats Brilliant!

I need to learn more about the 2 kettle systems. Pros/cons.

The perfect picture in my head for MY cookshack would be 2 15g Blichmanns and a temp controlled conical. Im pretty sure I'd want some sort of rims for the mash, but most of the rest of the system could be simple, I don't mind manually turning valves and reading dial thermometers. the kettles probably would be Natural Gas
All built on a custom stand of course.
If I could make this work, I'd be in heaven!

You can do that...

I am going to use my 2 kettle system for sous vide cooking too. I can use the MLT and RIMS heater to cook Medium steaks and the BK to cook Med. Well ;)

Dont let the weldless fittings worry you either, they work exactly the same as a welded fitting.

Latest posts

Back