Fly Sparge Arm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there is really no need for the sprinkler thing. I use this, just under the surface of the water in the MLT for my HERMS return line and my fly sparge line:

Loc-Line

I have the same arm and I removed the base and machined a stainless mount to bolt onto my MT lid. I can adjust it easily depending on the level of the mash. Never use this for HERMS or it will clog immediately as those holes are the diameter of a small paperclip.

DSC00709.JPG

Honestly, I have been debating going without this. Then I do not have to switch over from my copper ring after HERMS. I initially bought it not thinking about how easily it could be clogged if grain got in there. Also I ended up using it because of the bling factor. I also drilled through my lid and had the mount already made so I was not just going to scrap it right away since I paid for it. I do have a spare lid that will most likely be modified into a single sparge/HERMS lid eventually. Switching from HERMS to Sparging will then be more simplistic.

If that is a Phil sparge arm... I'll refer to it as Phil's Squeky Arm. We found it needed (A) psi to keep it spinning, (B) was squeky and annoying.

The simple sprinkler I use works well. I've used plates, foil, pie tins, simple hose ploped in... They all worked to prevent channeling of water through the grain bed. Do it cheap n easy.

I prefer a short length of tubing laid on top of the mash such that it creates a slow whirlpool on top of the grains. Easy, never clogs, easy for circulation.

+1. Works great. Check out silicone tubing at Amazon (sold by Small Parts, Inc.; cheaper than the HB vendors).

Back