What styles can you not drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
So lately I have been trying just about every brand and style I can find locally. Most are decent, some are great, some are not for me.

What kind of beers have you found that you simply can not drink?
Like a lot of folks I do not care for BMC, but I have also found that I really do not care for the belgian witbiers I have had (blue moon, sam adams white ale...etc.) Something tells me there is a witbier out there I would enjoy, but I haven't found it yet.
What about your personal tastes?
Anything you can not bring yourself to drink? :mug:

I personally will try them all. I will not pay out of my pocket for a German wheat beer but I'll try one off a keg at a party.

Not a huge fan of Barley wines.

Other than that bring them on.

Of the BMC, I really can't stomach the Bud or Bud Light. Water is a better choice.

Oddly, I enjoy Killieans Red, but every time I drink it, I get a horrible headache within the hour.

Barely Wine
Lambics
Wit beers
German Hefeweizens
Anything Sour or super yeasty

That leaves me with a bunch of delicious Ales to choose from. I love Stouts, Porters, IPAs, APAs, American Wheat, etc

Things with too high a percentage of wheat cause some sort of sourness/nausea in the back of my throat. I don't mind a small amount in the grainbill, like in some belgian tripels, but if there is too much then it's over for me..

So now Hefes or other wheats...

Haven't run across anything I can't drink, but things I wouldn't pay for: sours, big Belgians, any fruit beer except blueberry wheats and raspberry stouts, abbey ales. Other than RIS, I'm not a fan of big beers.

I no longer really feel like drinking fruit beers, especially fruit wheats. Two summers ago I had a bunch of samplers and by the end of July or so I was pretty done with raspberry-, pomegranate-, etc, wheats. The irony, then, that my fruit beer got the best score of the ones I entered into a competition :)

Besides that I'm not sure how I feel about American barleywines but English ones may be my favorite style. I'm scared to brew one because I don't want to mess it up.

whats the deal with everyone against wheat beers?

as for me, I tend to stay away from IPAs or anything just super hoppy, they give me heart burn... lol

I'll drink (2) HOT 30pks of mixed Coors, Miller, Bud before I'll ever attempt to drink another Lindemans Geuze Cuvee Renee'.

I even tried sugaring it as is suggested the locals do, but blech!

And I like sours.

Haven't run across anything I can't drink, but things I wouldn't pay for: sours, big Belgians, any fruit beer except blueberry wheats and raspberry stouts, abbey ales. Other than RIS, I'm not a fan of big beers.

I mostly with David on this. It is the rare fruit beer that I like, except for wits to a degree and this one Blueberry Oatmeal Stout I had that was very good.

And for big beers I often love the first sips or even full bottle but I almost never go back for a second. I have a bunch of delicious big beer batches that I only sample now and then.

I hate to use a hackneyed word but I like session beers that have high drinkability. Like Randy Mosher, I feel that beers are best judged on the third pint, not the first sips.

Since I started homebrewing, I've not cared for wheats either. I remember liking Oberon a few years back, but just had some last week, and I don't htink I'll be getting another. about 8 yrs ago I was on location in Milwaukee and the bar accross the street has Franziskaner (sp?) on tap. I thought that was awesome.

I'm not a big fan of "scottish" brews or other overly sweet beers.
I like them bitter.

Love 'em all.... except brown ale and fruit beers. I know... it's weird. I like everything from ordinary bitters to big belgian goldens... Sours? (sorry... sowahz)... the more sowah the betta...

for some reason I just don't like browns. Fruit beers never did it for me eitehr and I said "veggie" because I don't like pumpkin or chili beers at all (those are veggies right?)

It's the dislike of browns I've never been able to figure out though. just something about them.

In general I don't like sour beers although I've had a couple that weren't bad. Wouldn't buy them though. I like German hefes and Belgian wits, but American wheats are just too bland for my taste.

Fruit beers are generally something I dislike unless the fruit is understated. I'm fine with something like the citrusy note of witbier.

I can enjoy fruit beers brewed with real fruits (most of them) but not those w/ fruit syrup.
I don't like Unibroue, way too yeasty. I also hate Cooper's yeast.
And, I can't drink high carbonation watery beers (BMC)...

I am not a big fan smoked beer. Honestly, I would probably take a BMC over a smoked beer.

What's with the fruit-bashing, too?:D I like 'em all except Barleywines. I have to admit that I haven't one in a few years and should probably give one another try, as I'm sure my tastes have changed in that time. I've never had a sour beer, so I can't say where I stand there. I've always avoided them just because they are sour. Maybe I should be more open-minded and give one a try. Maybe a good Flanders Red, like a Rodenbach.

I'll drink (2) HOT 30pks of mixed Coors, Miller, Bud before I'll ever attempt to drink another Lindemans Geuze Cuvee Renee'.

+10000 That beer was torture.

I don't like the really funky Brett brews, not a fan of that musty flavor.
Nothing else I can't stomach, I just probably wouldn't pay for any overly-estery beers or any browns.

Any chelada style beer. Gross. I love wheats though. Don't bash wheat until you've had a kristall weiss. HUGE difference between that and a hefeweizen. I rarely buy belgians. Not that I don't like them, but I tend to drink alot when I drink and you just can't quaff pint after pint of tripel. Also, hyper uber mega IPA's are gross to me. I really don't see the merit, anyone can dump a crapton of hops into a beer.

I have really struggled with fruit beers. I have really tried to like them too. I keep on trying them thinking, "What am I missing. . . ?"

But in the end, it like flavored coffee. I just can't do it. . . .

I am not a big fan smoked beer. Honestly, I would probably take a BMC over a smoked beer.

Really? I had a Schlenkerla Urbock and loved it. It was a sipping beer, not one you'd have more than one of (I split the bottle with a friend, actually), but for what it was it was awesome.

I'll try any style. Haven't been big fan of lambics, but I really likes the sour ale Supplication from Russian River.

Oh..and I have never had a good beer from Montana. So..no style from Montana :D

I can drink BMC as long as it's actually Bud, Miller or Coors. Cheaper beer like Natural Light and Milwaukee's Best I cannot stomach though. It's not that I enjoy BMC but if it's offered for free I'll drink it. Pabst on the other hand I have some sentimental attachment to, even if it does not taste that great. I will pay for Pabst if there is nothing else (not so much for BMC).

Haven't had any fruit beers I cared for. I think I'll be one one of the few that says I don't like IPA's or anything heavily hopped, just not a hophead. I had a run where I was brewing hefes let and right and I kind of burned myself out, haven't had any in well over a year now. Oh, and I'll take water over any BMC.

Fruited beers and Wits (or anything with crazy spices)

I had a Grut the other night made with Bay Leaf and a bunch of other crap, I almost spit it out.

I enjoy and appreciate most styles however I tend to not seek out Spiced beers... but I can, and do, drink them once in a while.

+10000 That beer was torture.

I don't like the really funky Brett brews, not a fan of that musty flavor.
Nothing else I can't stomach, I just probably wouldn't pay for any overly-estery beers or any browns.

+10001

Not a huge fan of the Orval barnyard beer. I can drink it and evaluate it properly but, it's just not something I'd go looking for. the LGCR on the other hand got dumped before I could finish half the bomber.

Lambics are okay. Most are like Alcopops to me but I haven't the pleasure of anything other than Lindmans or Melbourne.

Flanderses = Yumm.

Not a fan of fruit additives, wits, or hefes...will drink them, but far from my 1st choice. I can do BMC is it's cold and fresh.

I feel like a failure in some respects because I just don't care for barleywines. I can *appreciate* the craft in a barleywine, but I hate the overwhelming sweetness. Even when properly bittered, it's just too much.

Please don't stone me for admitting this!

Scotch ales give me the Heeby Geebies, I just can't do it. Anything that is super sweet & has that big chewy mouthfeel to it just doesn't sit well with me. But I do like big beer, they just gotta have some hop bite to them, I'm loving Barleywine, and big hoppy IPA's.

Back