Yeast Learning Resources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchadscud

Reaction score
I'm looking for some solid information regarding yeast. I've done some searching and read some good write-ups on here as well as on other sites (mrmalty.com, etc.), but I've still got some questions.

Specifically, if I can't use a yeast starter right away, when is the ideal time to refrigerate it?

Secondly, how do you re-use yeast that has already fermented a batch of beer? I've read about this, but haven't come across a how-to of sorts.

Thanks for the help.

I would say let your starter work for 3-4 days before refrigerating, you want to make sure it's done and the activity has subsided.

For reusing yeast, go to General Technique forum and read the "Yeast Washing Illustrated" Sticky. Works like a charm.

Thanks fellas. I'm devouring the information as quickly as possible. I made my first starter yesterday with WLP300. The instruction I have called for a .75 liter starter, but it looks like some people make them as big as 2 liters. I guess I will see how this one goes and see if I need to go bigger.

Thanks fellas. I'm devouring the information as quickly as possible. I made my first starter yesterday with WLP300. The instruction I have called for a .75 liter starter, but it looks like some people make them as big as 2 liters. I guess I will see how this one goes and see if I need to go bigger.

I make mine about 1 pint and have had great results so far. Minimal lag time and quick fermentation. Not sure what that translates into in liters.

I believe there are roughly 2 pints in a liter. I brewed yesterday evening and the starter worked great. Fermentation had already started this morning.

I think I'm going to try and hone my yeast skills outside of the brew process. I'd like to try and cultivate the yeast from a commercial beer and harvest the yeast from one of my secondaries.

Thanks for the input fellas! :mug:

Back