"Generic" Saccharomyces cerevisae

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markowe

Reaction score
Homebrewing supplies are a bit thin on the ground in my part of the world. So I came across sachets of "Wine yeast", indicated simply as: Saccharomyces cerevisae and as being produced by Enartis, Italy. And apart from instructions for rehydration at 35-38C using yeast nutrient (comes in a separate sachet), that is ALL! It doesn't say anything else! Oh, and the sachet print/text is dark purple, vaguely suggesting it might be intended for red wine!

Surely Saccharomyces cerevisae is a pretty vague designation, it could be any strain, and Enartis produce a number, judging from their site, including for red, white, rose and lots in between? Anyone have an educated guess on what it might actually be, or do I need to get onto the producer (a local import company)?

I was actually wanting to use it for ginger wine specifically, and possibly cider - could I go far wrong with this, whatever it is?

I would think that most wine yeast will work for your targeted product. The best test is to ferment with it and taste the end product. A small batch would be in order so you are not invested to heavily if the yeast is not what you like.

Like you say, I think I'll just go ahead and do it :) Hopefully there won't be any nasty surprises come Yuletide!

P.S. I tried a bread-and-sugar beer a while back, it was, as you might expect, rank.

A wine yeast to make a cider should work fine. It will end very dry if you don't do something to back sweeten after fermentation. A friend of mine does this by continually adding frozen concentrate every couple days until the level of alcohol gets toxic to the yeast and then adds some more. I think he adds some k-meta and/or sorbate to finish off the yeast at some point. Needless to say it's a pretty potent and tasty product. Better for you, he just uses cheap wine yeast.

You'll just have to try it if there is not a number or some form of designation. Many wine strains are unable to ferment the maltose/maltotriose sugars so you may find the beer sweet even after the fermentation ceases.

Back