Determining probable alkalinity in RO water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I remember a post somewhere by AJ deLange, talking about the amount of alkalinity removed by RO systems at home. I can't find it now! I know that the RO system doesn't remove everything, so I was thinking if I could estimate the probably result then I wouldn't have to send in my treated water to Ward Labs.

I do have an aquarium hardness test kit, so I was wondering if I can use what I know from my water chemistry prior to RO filtering and testing the end water to guestimate my alkalinity before I brew today.

I remember a post somewhere by AJ deLange, talking about the amount of alkalinity removed by RO systems at home. I can't find it now! I know that the RO system doesn't remove everything, so I was thinking if I could estimate the probably result then I wouldn't have to send in my treated water to Ward Labs.

I do have an aquarium hardness test kit, so I was wondering if I can use what I know from my water chemistry prior to RO filtering and testing the end water to guestimate my alkalinity before I brew today.

If you have a kH kit then you can directly measure the alkalinity. But, I believe he's said they'll usually remove about 95% of everything (some a little higher, some a little lower). Even if it's only 90% for yours, you should still be within the primer's alkalinity max, I'd imagine.

If you have a kH kit then you can directly measure the alkalinity. But, I believe he's said they'll usually remove about 95% of everything (some a little higher, some a little lower). Even if it's only 90% for yours, you should still be within the primer's alkalinity max, I'd imagine.

I did- but I just had a "duh!" moment. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I added 3 grams CaS04 and 4.5 grams of CaCl2 to my 13 gallons of brewing water and sort of forgot about it (as the water was "done").

I mashed in (mash pH 5.55), added two gallons of tap water to my water in the HLT (HLT is small and needed a bit more) and checked the alkalinity with the GH/KH kit. It's HIGH. I went into a mini-panic, thinking my brand new RO system was junk.

Then, the light bulb went off. Um, next time, dummy, do that before you add the salts! :D

Back