Transporting fermenting beer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humblesea

Reaction score
I have a blonde and a pale both in secondary plastic 5 gallon buckets. I just moved about an hour and a half drive away and need to bring them with me. Any thoughts on how the drive (splashing in the bucket) will affect the beer?

I've driven about as long as you with buckets of fermenting beer. They turned out fine. If you haven't opened up the bucket the co2 should protect it despite the splashing.

I have heard that you are better off using a carboy over a bucket for secondary fermentation because buckets are more prone to leaking air, which isn't near as big a problem when your beer is pushing off a lot of CO2 (because CO2 is going out, so air isn't coming in) but may be an issue when your beer is putzing around in a secondary fermentation bucket for three weeks.

If you have kegs and the beer is in secondary I'd just keg it and jack to 30psi to hold the lid and then you can just chuck your kegs in the trunk and roll out.

I have heard that you are better off using a carboy over a bucket for secondary fermentation because buckets are more prone to leaking air, which isn't near as big a problem when your beer is pushing off a lot of CO2 (because CO2 is going out, so air isn't coming in) but may be an issue when your beer is putzing around in a secondary fermentation bucket for three weeks.

If you have kegs and the beer is in secondary I'd just keg it and jack to 30psi to hold the lid and then you can just chuck your kegs in the trunk and roll out.

Thanks. That's probably what I'll do.

Back