Dried fruit addition.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colivari

Reaction score
Hey there,
Has anyone used dried fruit?
I'm considering using some dried apricots, and am really not sure how or when.
I am considering cubing them and adding in secondary, but am not really sure if I should heat in water to sterilize or if I should puree them or what.
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks.

I would at least dice them up so they can rehydrate easily. Sterilizing is your choice, but you might get a better result from pasturizing them by simmering them in water @ 155, and add the whole mix at the end of the boil, or as a secondary fermentation.

I'm also interested in this subject.

A lot of dried fruit is treated with sulfur dioxide to preserve color.
I don't know what effect this might have on fermentation or the finished product.
I think the "organic" dried fruit is without SO2.

I've been adding fruit to the primary after the main fermentation is complete.
My theory is that there is enough CO2 and alcohol to suppress bacteria.
And there's so much yeast that the sugar is gone in no time.

Thanks for the information.
Luckily my apricots are organic, so no problem there.
I am thinking about steeping the fruit in 160-170 degree water, to rehydrate in hope that the flavor is more expressed.
I'm not sure if that's the way to go, the other option is simply to dice and add straight.
Any thoughts would be helpful.

If you don't want to seep or boil them, you could flash steam them Alton Brown style.

Take one of those usless fold up steamer baskets everyone seems to have laying around. Place a small amount of water in the bottom of a pot (that has a lid and the basket will fit in). Bring the water to a rapid boil, add the basket and fruit and place on the top for about 20-30 seconds.

The 212*F steam will kill any nasties on the fruit. You also won't have to worry about water logging them if thats an issue.

Anyone know about the sulfur dioxide? Will this affect the beer in any way?

I am trying the apricot thing also, but due to the season, I can only find dried apricots. They are not labelled "organic" but also do not call out sulfur dioxide.

In case they do contain this preservative, do I have anything to fear in terms of inhibiting yeast growth or off flavors??

Latest posts

Back