Size of drilled holes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
So I'm gettting a few of Jaybirds false bottoms and we're talking about what size hole to drill. I've go no idea about any sort of plumbing, except I know that everytime |I do any sort of plumbing it involves at least 6 trips to the hardware store. I figured I'd use a 3/8" ID nipple. Anyone know what the OD is for that?

PTN

So I'm gettting a few of Jaybirds false bottoms and we're talking about what size hole to drill. I've go no idea about any sort of plumbing, except I know that everytime |I do any sort of plumbing it involves at least 6 trips to the hardware store. I figured I'd use a 3/8" ID nipple. Anyone know what the OD is for that?

PTN

PTN
Are you going to use a tiptube? If so you have no plumbing to do. bend your dip tub as if your not going to have a false bottom. Then just drill the false bottom the same size as the OD of the copper tubing and run it through the hole. There is no need to connect the false bottom to the tiptube. Those false bottoms a tuff enough to take the load of 30# of wet grain and then some.
Sorry it I am to late I just saw the thread.
Cheers
Jay

PTN
Are you going to use a tiptube? If so you have no plumbing to do. bend your dip tub as if your not going to have a false bottom. Then just drill the false bottom the same size as the OD of the copper tubing and run it through the hole. There is no need to connect the false bottom to the tiptube. Those false bottoms a tuff enough to take the load of 30# of wet grain and then some.
Sorry it I am to late I just saw the thread.
Cheers
Jay

If you don't feel safe with the grain load on top of the false bottom add four 8-32 stainless screws with nuts as stilts to support the screened false bottom from flexing or bowing down under the grain weight load.
I had one fold up with 56 pounds of grain in the MLT on a srout. Prevention is a hell of a lot better than a massive false bottom collapse failure in the middle of a MLT process. A dollars worth of nuts and screws is a easy prevention of possible later trouble, lesson learned instead of being told "it should hold", WRONG! Trust your instincts you'll be out of trouble more offten.

Back