Stone XI Anniversary Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to look this up because I was looking for a recipe on this beer that I tried the other day. Damn it's good.:rockin::

Stone-Sublime-150x300.png

You wont be disappointed.

Worth homebrewing even in a hop shortage!

Just bottled mine, due to travel at work this sat on dry hops for longer than I wanted. It still tastes amazing. I didn't get to do a FG reading since my hydrometer decided to break when it hit the floor when i dropped it. You would think they would bounce when the hit concrete. I had to samples while bottling and it packed a good hop punch and kind of gave me a nice little buzz. tonight I am going to sample the second runnings beer that I also made, hope it is half as good as this.

Just bottled mine, due to travel at work this sat on dry hops for longer than I wanted. It still tastes amazing. I didn't get to do a FG reading since my hydrometer decided to break when it hit the floor when i dropped it. You would think they would bounce when the hit concrete. I had to samples while bottling and it packed a good hop punch and kind of gave me a nice little buzz. tonight I am going to sample the second runnings beer that I also made, hope it is half as good as this.

So you made a little parti gyle did ya?

I envy that and let me say this is just brew to do it!

Let us know how the little brew came out cause I am sure the big one is just amazing.

Happy brewing!

Brewing this up again this weekend. Last time when I had just gotten into PM, I somehow F'd it up. Think I got too much hop dust into the bottles and the hoppiness got grassy and earthy, really nasty stuff.

I'm into kegging and better equipment now so this should be a real treat.

I've been planning a black IPA for a while and finally chose this recipe after trying this beer.

My recipe was lighter on the bittering hops.

5gal. Batch

14.5 lbs. pale malt
1lb. Caramel 60
1lb. Carafa III

1.5 oz. Chinook at 60
.5 oz. Chinook at 10
.5 oz. each Amarillo and Simcoe at 5
.5 oz. each Amarillo and Simcoe at 0
1 oz. each Amarillo and Simcoe for dry hop

My only problem was missed OG and only hit 1.060

Pitched on a yeast cake of WL001 and it went off today I'll let you know how it turns out.

I just took a reading today and a sample.

While it's currently lacking aroma (dry hops werent in obviously), the taste is a 100% DEAD RINGER for Stone SSR. I tossed in 4oz of dry hops and look forward to having it on tap within 2 wks.

dannyhawkins said:
I've been planning a black IPA for a while and finally chose this recipe after trying this beer.

My recipe was lighter on the bittering hops.

5gal. Batch

14.5 lbs. pale malt
1lb. Caramel 60
1lb. Carafa III

1.5 oz. Chinook at 60
.5 oz. Chinook at 10
.5 oz. each Amarillo and Simcoe at 5
.5 oz. each Amarillo and Simcoe at 0
1 oz. each Amarillo and Simcoe for dry hop

My only problem was missed OG and only hit 1.060

Pitched on a yeast cake of WL001 and it went off today I'll let you know how it turns out.

I just added the dry hops addition. It won't be long now, I'll wait for a taste at bottling.

image-2942783633.jpg

Can someone please post the extract version recipe, Thanks!

If you're doing a full boil, just replace a bunch of the 2row with extract. Keep your specialty grains at their current levels. If you haven't gotten a copy of BeerSmith yet, now is the time to do it, because it gets rid of the guesswork.

I just added the dry hops addition. It won't be long now, I'll wait for a taste at bottling.

View attachment 76937

Looks awesome. I kegged mine about 2.5wks ago, and it's been incredible. After about 1 wk in the keg, it really peaked on max hop flavor and minimum homebrew flavor. Also, if you're bottling it, please do yourself a HUGE favor and cold crash it for atleast 2 days, if not 3, and put a filter over your racking cane. I made this beer a couple years back and ended up ruining it because I racked too much dry hop dust into the bottles, which then slowly got grassy/sour as they carbed up. It was amazing in the bottling bucket, but a complete disappointment when it came time to crack open a bottle.

Don't want to derail but I started using NB hop bags when dry hopping. Probably not as effective but makes up for it on the back end. I also thought of using one of those big 5 gallon strainer bags but harder to tie off. It's all trade offs. I have one brew ahead of this, then I will give it a go.

dannyhawkins said:

Ok guys I have finally tasted and it is incredible! I cannot believe how good this beer turned out. I will add one more late addition or additional dry hops next time but that's just me being greedy there is plenty of piney resiny goodness already. Brew it!

How long has everyone found it needs to condition in the bottles?

For as little time as possible. Remember, this is a double IPA, pretty much, and with a serious dry hopping. Age is IPA's enemy.

Mine was in primary for 3 wks, then I dry hopped (in the primary), and at day 3, put it in to cold crash. By day 5, it was cleared up a bit (as much as a black beer can clear, LOL), and I racked into the keg. So about 4 weeks til it was ready to drink.

Keeping in mind that bottles require 3 wks, you're gonna wanna get that bad boy into bottles as soon as you can, as long as you give the yeast enough time to clean up after itself so you don't have off flavors.

Also, please be careful not to get hop dust/sediment in your bottles. I ruined a batch this way, because they developed grassy off flavors after bottling (it was delicious during the bottling). Better to leave a couple pints behind than to suck up a bunch of hop gunk.

I just put my extract version of this in the primary! Man, what a fun brew.

I tweaked the recipe a bit because of what my LHBS had on hand, and to try to seduce more flavor from the hops.

Here was my take:

5gal. Batch - full boil starting at 6.5 gal.

3lbs. Briess Gold DME (70 min.)
6.6lbs. Briess Gold LME (added at flameout)

6oz. Crystal 40
6oz. Crystal 77
12oz. Carafa II Special

2oz. Chinook (70)
1oz. Nugget (60)
.5oz. Simcoe (15)
.5oz Simcoe (10)
1oz. Simcoe (0)
1oz. Amarillo (0)
1oz. Simcoe (dryhop)
1oz. Amarillo (dryhop)

Pitched Wyeast 1056 starter @ ~65F.

I read some about methods for flavor extraction from the late hop additions and decided to do my final addition at flameout and steep for 15 minutes before starting the chill. Anyone else use this method? Hopefully it'll help produce the big hop flavor I'm looking for.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out!

I'm going to make this again as my next beer. It was one of my best and one of the only times I used simcoe, finally got some more.

If you were to introduce another hop for dry hopping would you use Cascade or Centennial? Or something else (not Citra)?

I just made this and used centennial and simcoe. Added dry hop yesterday.
I'll let you know know in 2 weeks.

Its good, more floral with centennial. Amarillo and simcoe more citrusy and more armoatic.

Brewed this on 12/2/12. Used Safale US-05 yeast. No starter.. (2 packs) 6 gallon batch. All grain. 148F mash. OG 1.081. Checked gravity today and its at 1.036. WHAT A BUMMER! Not sure what happened here. Especially with the mash temp I used. Thinking about re-pitching. Ideas?

Its possible you may have mashed too low and not long enough. Its also possible you've been fermenting at a low temp and for not long enough. Check your gravity in two days and get back to us.

Thanks waddsworth. :) I know the mash temp was accurate for the entire hour. I have an infrared temp gun and I also used a standard thermometer and they matched. However, it is now winter in Sacramento and the fermenter has been cooler than all the summer time batches. I will leave the beer alone for another week. I was hoping to start dry-hopping this weekend but........

BTW.. I was thinking that running a mash at 148 instead of 154 would create more fermentable sugars. I ran the lower mash temp just for that reason as I was hoping to get this beer a little dryer. A few guys in here got a little higher FG at 154 (ish). I will report back. Thanks brewers.

Cheers!

Robert L

Update: 4 days ago I installed a digital temp controler and a carboy heat wrap. Racked in to a secondary with most the yeast cake and set the temp to 70 in an attempt to roust the yeast. AND......... Nothing happened. I had even stirred the yeast up pretty good. Fg still stuck at 1.035. I am thinking I need to check my water report. With a big beer such as this, I probably should have used some "pH_up" in the mash. I might even split the batch and try a different yeast repitch. My first experience with us-05 has been a bad one.

I'm wondering if the US05 needed at least a liter starter?

I pitched 1.5liters of 1.040 with WLP001 and it seemed to attenuate to specs.

Brewed this on 11/29. Had to sub chinook for simcoe as none available at my LHBS. Also added 1/2lb victory malt. IBU per recipe and dryhopped with 2.8oz chinook and amarillo on day 10 thru day 18. Tried first on yesterday (only 14 days in bottle) and its to date the best homebrew I've ever had.

So stoked with this recipe. Will be making every third for sure. If i can find some simcoe i'll buy a couple pounds.

THIS RECIPE DOES NOT DISAPOINT!

I am using a hydrometer. For the yeast I just pitched 2 packs. I tested some Sublimely self righteous the other day for FG and I came up with 1.014. I will try a huge wlp001 starter next time. Also a 90 min mash instead of 60 min.

Brewed this on 12/2/12. Used Safale US-05 yeast. No starter.. (2 packs) 6 gallon batch. All grain. 148F mash. OG 1.081. Checked gravity today and its at 1.036. WHAT A BUMMER! Not sure what happened here. Especially with the mash temp I used. Thinking about re-pitching. Ideas?

1.080 wort. Use 3 packs and rehydrate. I think this is your issue.

5.25 gallon partial something

45 min 155F
4 lb 4 oz 2-Row (Briess Organic)
12 oz C60L (Briess Organic)
12 oz Carafa III (Weyermann)

2.5 oz Chinook (90 min)
9.15 lb Light LME (Briess Organic)
1 oz Simcoe (0 min)
1 oz Amarillo (0 min)

US-05 American Ale

1 week primary

1 week secondary
1 oz Simcoe
1 oz Amarillo

3 weeks bottle, first taste 8 July 2017

SWMBO choice.
Carafa III, hops and yeast from final purchase from Barley & Vine, rest from Northern Brewer.

Drom John Stone Sublimely Sel-Righteous Ale.png

Back