trouble picking first partial mash recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzal8

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm fed up with my extract brews. In the end, they all really just taste the same. So a week and a half ago, I went out and made a 5 gallon mash tun out of a rubbermaid cooler (thanks to FlyGuys instructions, it was pretty easy). I live in a condo and can't move outside to do all grain, so I am stuck on my stove. 4 gallons would be the absolute max boil I can handle, though I can comfortably do a 3.5 gallon boil.

I am looking for a partial mash recipe that requires in the neighborhood of a 3 lb extra light DME addition. I would love for it to be a beer that will have a brown ale or lighter color. APA's, Brown Ales, Bitters etc are the styles I am hoping for. I would also like for this to be a simple recipe as well.

I come to you all because for 2 weeks I have been searching and really just haven't found anything that I think works for me. Either that or maybe I am just being a little too timid about pulling the trigger. Can anyone help push me in the right direction?

Thanks.

I was in the same boat as you being stuck with an electric stove and wanting to mash some grains. Then a turkey fryer fell into my lap the day before I was going to do my first stovetop PM.

Anyways. I figured that my max grain bill would be about 7#, otherwise I wouldn't have enough boiling power to properly sparge (3.5-4gal limit also).

So here is the recipe for our Pale Ale at the brewpub. It's one of my favorites. I've brewed it using just LME and steeping grains and it turned out great. I just put in 3# LME and added grains to get the gravity where it should be based on 75% efficiency. Ended up being 6.75# of grains... perfect.

An APA for jzal8

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.75
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.09
Anticipated SRM: 8.9
Anticipated IBU: 49.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.8 3.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
61.5 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
7.7 0.75 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 49.9 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

Wyeast 1318: London Ale III. (whatever you want though. nottinghams dry would be fine)

Thanks alot...Seems like what I am shooting for.

Do you have any mashing instructions for that. Also, you said you added the LME and then grains until you hit your gravity, did you mean the other way around?

Again, I appreciate the response. I really just need some direction.

Heat the water to 160. Using a large grain bag, add grains and stir and see if the temp hits 151. Stick your pot in the oven pre-heated to 180, and turn the oven off. Let it sit for an hour. Remove the grain bag and let it drip, then put it in another pot and sparge/rinse with 170 water maybe three times until you refill your brew pot for your maximum boil size. Add extract with 15 minutes left in the boil.

oops! forget my last post. I got interupted and didn't remember you just made a MLT until I reread it.

Had to make some modifications, but could somebody please comment on how this looks?

Recipe: First PM
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 8.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop)

Mash Schedule:
Total Grain Weight: 6.75 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 8.44 qt of water at 169.0 F 155.0 F 40 min

FYI, it IS possible to do a 'full' boil if you're willing to use two stock pots that, combined, yield a full boil volume.

assuming a batch sparge, you'd need to split the first runnings into each pot, and then again on the second runnings...so taht the two pots have roughly the same gravity, and thus the same hop utilization.
then split hops evenly and boil them both.

luckily a cold water bath cools those smaller pots down.

I did it this way before I got my turkey fryer setup.

malkore said:
FYI, it IS possible to do a 'full' boil if you're willing to use two stock pots that, combined, yield a full boil volume.

assuming a batch sparge, you'd need to split the first runnings into each pot, and then again on the second runnings...so taht the two pots have roughly the same gravity, and thus the same hop utilization.
then split hops evenly and boil them both.

luckily a cold water bath cools those smaller pots down.

I did it this way before I got my turkey fryer setup.

Thanks, thats not a bad idea. I think for now I just need to keep it simple though with one boil.

Any comments on this recipe? Its a bit different than the one originally provided.

I'd split the first ounce of Cascades at 15 & 5 minutes. Dry hopping gives a different aroma profile and in my experience, can't compensate for no aroma add.

Thanks, much appreciated. I will do just that.

i did the porter from this article with a few changes. just did a five gallon batch last weekend. it's a good article and it was effective with my funds and little experiance. in case you wanted to try something else.

http://***********/feature/1536.html

So just as a follow up, today I am going to brew my first PM. Here is the final recipe that I am going with:

Brew Type: Partial Mash
Style: American Pale Ale
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 3.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %

Mash Ingredients:
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
.75lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

Mash Instructions:
Add 8.44 qt of water at 167.1 F for 60 min
Hold mash at 155.0 F for 60 min
Sparge with 2.45 gal of 168.0 F water.

60 minute boil
60 min 1.00 oz Amarillo Gold
15 min 3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract
15 min 0.75 oz Cascade
10 min 1 tsp Irish Moss
5 min 0.75 oz Cascade

Add 1.75 gal water (as needed) to achieve volume of 5 gal

Yeast:
1 Pkg Nottingham

10 days in the Primary
10 days in the Secondary (Dry Hop 1oz Cascade)

Ok so I am almost 30 minutes into my boil. Can't believe how easy the whole mashing process really is. I ended up with approx 3.5 gallons of wort with a gravity of 1.032 (temp adjusted). I believe that puts me at 65% efficiency (i think).

Very excited about this :)

Back