What is your OG and FG with a Coopers kit ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zurd

Reaction score
Hi, just what is your OG and FG with a Coopers kit? I tried about 8 of these kits and they all give me the same readings so I was wondering if it's normal and if anyone else achieve a higher alcohol percentage than me.

I use 1kg of dextrose, 250g of LME and it gives me 1.040 of OG and 1.010 of FG which translate to about 4% alcohol.

If I do not use 250g of LME, the readings drop to 1.030 and 1.010.

Hey there - yes I make some coopers kits. I generally make them with 900g lme and 450g liquid glucose. I get about the same reading 1040 and endes up out between 1010 - 1008.

I'd say the best way go give it a little boost is cut down on some of the sugar and increase the malt. For instance on the coopers IPA kit - I still use about 450g liquid glucose but I also add about 5 pounds lme (about 2300g's). It usually gets me an Og of about 1050 and a fg of 1010. Also with the coopers bitter kit I add some extra LME to make it an 'extra special bitter).

Just experimen with the different styles and find what you like - definatly though cut back on the dextrose and increase the malt extract.

Finally i think 1040-1010 equally more then 4% abv i think it is aroud 4.5% + after you add the priming sugar.

Hope that helps

Back