Hop Schedule for DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesleyS

Reaction score
I'm formulating a recipe for a DIPA and wanted some suggestions on the hops. I already have my grain bill, there's nothing really special there. I wanted to keep it simple and let the hops take over. My target OG will be 1.092.
The hops I want to use for this beer are Citra, Amarillo and Simcoe. I also have some Mosaic I thought about tossing in. In all, I have: 19 oz of Citra, 13 oz Amarillo, 6 oz of Simcoe and 4 oz of Mosaic to work with. My original plan was to add a good amount of each from 15-0 adding a lot at knockout. Then using enough Simcoe at 30 or FWH to reach around 100 IBUs including the later additions. I was messing around with the recipe and ended up with 16 oz of hops total including dry hop. Does that sound like too many hops? Or is there such a thing? ;)
What do y'all think?

All the hops you have there are awesome ones. If it was me I would try to bitter the beer with a more tradional method and use your 'hard to get' hops for flavor/aroma. Find some cheap high alpha hops to bitter for 90 or 60 minutes. Magnum or something, then hop burst the last 15 with the hops you have. Should give you what you want without blowing all your stash up. In answer to your other question if there is such thing as too much....hell no. LOL Just my 2 cents.

Hammy71 said:
All the hops you have there are awesome ones. If it was me I would try to bitter the beer with a more tradional method and use your 'hard to get' hops for flavor/aroma. Find some cheap high alpha hops to bitter for 90 or 60 minutes. Magnum or something, then hop burst the last 15 with the hops you have. Should give you what you want without blowing all your stash up. In answer to your other question if there is such thing as too much....hell no. LOL Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply. I have a little Magnum, but not much. Im not too worried about using some Simcoe for bittering since my LHBS always has a great assortment of hops in stock, even the really popular "hard to get" ones.
This is what I'm thinking for late additions:
15 min.
.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Citra

10 min.
.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Citra
.5 oz Simcoe

5 min.
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Citra
.5 oz Simcoe

0 min.
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Citra
1 oz Mosaic
1 oz Simcoe

Dry Hops
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Citra
1 oz Mosaic

I brewed an IPA that had 18oz of hops. It was probably supposed to be 5 gallons, but after all the wort losses to trub and hop absorption, it ended up being 4, albeit a very tasty 4. I have a DIPA dry-hopping now that had 17oz. I'm not going to say I made the most optimal and efficient use out of all those hops, but when The Mad Fermentationist has recipes using a similar amount of hops, I figure I'm not too crazy. After I squeezed the crap out of my paint strainer bag on the first batch, I weighed it and found that hop pellets absorb about 4X their weight in beer. 18oz hops=72oz beer, or in other words, The six-pack that never was. I need to order some hop extract if I keep brewing like this.

kingwood-kid said:
I brewed an IPA that had 18oz of hops. It was probably supposed to be 5 gallons, but after all the wort losses to trub and hop absorption, it ended up being 4, albeit a very tasty 4. I have a DIPA dry-hopping now that had 17oz. I'm not going to say I made the most optimal and efficient use out of all those hops, but when The Mad Fermentationist has recipes using a similar amount of hops, I figure I'm not too crazy. After I squeezed the crap out of my paint strainer bag on the first batch, I weighed it and found that hop pellets absorb about 4X their weight in beer. 18oz hops=72oz beer, or in other words, The six-pack that never was. I need to order some hop extract if I keep brewing like this.

I thought about that. I've been making 6.5 gallon batches lately so that should help with wort loss. I think I'm going to move forward with my planned hop schedule and see what happens. Haven't really gotten any response about it so it must not be a recipe for disaster. :)

With those hops, and that amount of them, you're going to have a fruity IIPA... not a dank, piney, floral, earthy, or even a fairly citrusy one.

I would pick up some Columbus or Apollo to bitter with; a traditional bitter at 90... none of this sissy FWH garbage. This is an IIPA you're talking about. That said, 16 oz. is a bit overkill if your OG hovers in the 1.070s. Pliny the Elder uses 12.5 oz. per 5 gallon batch. Choosing something with character (like Columbus over clean Magnum) will definitely offer more complexity to your IIPA.

More and more, I'm liking the heavy early, subtle middle, and heavy 0 min. whirlpool & dryhop schedule. Reason being, you have the bitterness you need early on with subtle flavor contributions. Then a middle addition provides slightly more flavor and helps to round out the bitterness (as opposed to bittering your full amount at 90). Then nothing until 0 min. You already have the bitterness and an interesting IIPA base to build that late flavor and aroma without destroying any of the delicate aromatic hop oils that you do during the boil. If you toss your 0 min. additions in below 180F, then you're not isomerizing the alpha acids which means you're not getting any IBUs... just flavor and aroma. A 3-4 oz. addition at whirlpool along with a 4-6 oz. dryhop won't make you miss any of those additions that you neglected to add from 20-5 minutes.

Bon basically said everything I was going to say, follow his outline above and you'll kill it.

bobbrews said:
With those hops, and that amount of them, you're going to have a fruity IIPA... not a dank, piney, floral, earthy, or even a fairly citrusy one.

I would pick up some Columbus or Apollo to bitter with; a traditional bitter at 90... none of this sissy FWH garbage. This is an IIPA you're talking about. That said, 16 oz. is a bit overkill if your OG hovers in the 1.070s. Pliny the Elder uses 12.5 oz. per 5 gallon batch. Choosing something with character (like Columbus over clean Magnum) will definitely offer more complexity to your IIPA.

More and more, I'm liking the heavy early, subtle middle, and heavy 0 min. whirlpool & dryhop schedule. Reason being, you have the bitterness you need early on with subtle flavor contributions. Then a middle addition provides slightly more flavor and helps to round out the bitterness (as opposed to bittering your full amount at 90). Then nothing until 0 min. You already have the bitterness and an interesting IIPA base to build that late flavor and aroma without destroying any of the delicate aromatic hop oils that you do during the boil. If you toss your 0 min. additions in below 180F, then you're not isomerizing the alpha acids which means you're not getting any IBUs... just flavor and aroma. A 3-4 oz. addition at whirlpool along with a 4-6 oz. dryhop won't make you miss any of those additions that you neglected to add from 20-5 minutes.

Thanks for the tips. My target OG is 1.092 and this is a 6.5 gallon batch, so 16 oz doesn't seem too crazy taking that into consideration. I might take out some of the addition times and add those hops at 0 or whirlpool and maybe dry hop a couple more ounces. More than anything, I want the hop flavor and aroma to be the star of this beer and I really like the character of all the hops I chose, except for Mosaic. I haven't worked with it yet and can scrap it from the recipe if need be.

16 oz. hops doesn't sound too crazy for that OG. What sounds crazy is the OG itself. You're in barleywine territory there. If you want smooth, easy drinkability with signature IIPA dryness that allows the hops to shine, then drop that OG to the 1.070s. Otherwise, make a sweet hoppy barleywine. Mosaic is also fruity with some added berry traits. It's an offspring of Simcoe/Nugget.

bobbrews said:
16 oz. hops doesn't sound too crazy for that OG. What sounds crazy is the OG itself. You're in barleywine territory there. If you want smooth, easy drinkability with signature IIPA dryness that allows the hops to shine, then drop that OG to the 1.070s. Otherwise, make a sweet hoppy barleywine. Mosaic is also fruity with some added berry traits. It's an offspring of Simcoe/Nugget.

I've had some Double IPAs in the 9-10% ABV range and enjoyed them. I do like some sweetness in the finished beer, but not enough to be cloying. I also like fruity and citrusy, a little bit of pine but not too much.
I could drop the OG down a little bit, maybe in the 1.080s. I'm not married to the original plan for this beer. I keep adjusting here and there.

9-10% can be had by a lower FG just as much as a larger OG. The former is a better practice for this style of beer. Some sweetness would be about 1.015-16 FG. Doubt you'll get any pine.

I think 16 oz of hops in a IIPA is about right! My American IPA (OG 1.067) has 12 oz total hops.

This recipe sounds tasty! What a great party of high end hops!

Vastly different. Like I said, Pliny the Elder is 1.070 OG and has 12.5 total oz. per 8 gallon boil / 5 gallon batch.

bobbrews said:
Vastly different. Like I said, Pliny the Elder is 1.070 OG and has 12.5 total oz. per 8 gallon boil / 5 gallon batch.

No disrespect to Pliny, but I found it to be a little lacking. I'm shooting for something a little stronger and a heavier hop presence. I think the program/app I use to calculate my recipes sometimes calculates FG on the high side, so I think I can drop the OG a bit and I'll still end up with the strength I want at the FG I want. My beers usually finish a little lower than calculated unless I'm using lactose, cocoa, etc.

Ha... try Pliny the Younger then. There's a clone floating around HBT.

Also, 1.067 OG and 12 oz. hops is not too different from 1.070 OG and 12.5 oz. hops.

Finallizing a IIPA recipe. I like the steeping hops idea and want to try it. Hows this recipe look? Whats a typical fermentation schedule for a IIPA. I was thinking 3 in primary. Cold crash or use gelatin. Transfer and dry hop for 5 days before bottling. Thoughts?

5.25 gal batch
OG = 1.087
FG = 1.022
SRM = 11.14
IBU = 122

8.0*oz (4.4%) Caramel Malt 40L - added before boil, steeped 30*m
3.3*lb (29.2%) Liquid Light - added during boil, boiled 60*m
6.5*lb (57.5%) Dry Extra Light - added during boil 0m
1.0*lb (8.8%) Corn Sugar - added during boil 0m

1.5*oz (12.0%) Apollo (19.0%) - added during boil, boiled 45*m
1*oz (8.0%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
1*oz (8.0%) Cascade (7.9%) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
1*oz (8.0%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added after boil, steeped 30*m
1*oz (8.0%) Cascade (7.9%) - added after boil, steeped 30*m
1*oz (8.0%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added after boil, steeped 30*m
1*oz (8.0%) Apollo (19.0%) - added after boil, steeped 30*m
2.0*oz (16.0%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2*oz (16.0%) Cascade (7.9%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1*oz (8.0%) Apollo (19.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

A decent recipe bg1414, but that OG & FG is quite high for an IIPA. You might consider reducing some of your extract. I prefer DME over LME. I also rarely skip 60 minute additions. I see you are starting this at 45. Why not do both 60 and 45 in lesser amounts? Or better yet, 60 and 30?

Someone mentioned to me that my FG will be lower than what my beer tools pro program says. It doesn't seem to account for lower gravity using honey, corn sugar ect. I don't know why I skipped the 60 min addition. Just messing around with numbers and getting thoughts from others. This is my first IPA of any kind.

bobbrews said:

I disagree. I brewed a 1.095 IIIPA using 16oz and a two stage 8oz total dry hop and mashed at 147. Brought it down to 1.011. Definitely a big IIIPA, not even close to a barley wine. :)

Cheers

Finallizing a IIPA recipe. I like the steeping hops idea and want to try it. Hows this recipe look? Whats a typical fermentation schedule for a IIPA. I was thinking 3 in primary. Cold crash or use gelatin. Transfer and dry hop for 5 days before bottling. Thoughts?

5.25 gal batch
OG = 1.087
FG = 1.022
SRM = 11.14
IBU = 122

8.0*oz (4.4%) Caramel Malt 40L - added before boil, steeped 30*m
3.3*lb (29.2%) Liquid Light - added during boil, boiled 60*m
6.5*lb (57.5%) Dry Extra Light - added during boil 0m
1.0*lb (8.8%) Corn Sugar - added during boil 0m

1.5*oz (12.0%) Apollo (19.0%) - added during boil, boiled 45*m
1*oz (8.0%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
1*oz (8.0%) Cascade (7.9%) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
1*oz (8.0%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added after boil, steeped 30*m
1*oz (8.0%) Cascade (7.9%) - added after boil, steeped 30*m
1*oz (8.0%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added after boil, steeped 30*m
1*oz (8.0%) Apollo (19.0%) - added after boil, steeped 30*m
2.0*oz (16.0%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2*oz (16.0%) Cascade (7.9%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1*oz (8.0%) Apollo (19.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Oh, by the way, you have my permission to hijack my thread. :confused:

trent said:
I disagree. I brewed a 1.095 IIIPA using 16oz and a two stage 8oz total dry hop and mashed at 147. Brought it down to 1.011. Definitely a big IIIPA, not even close to a barley wine. :)

Cheers

What do you think of the hop schedule I mentioned in post #3?

WesleyS said:
What do you think of the hop schedule I mentioned in post #3?

It looks good but isn't my brewing style -- I agree with bobrews it's too many hops. On my IIPA and IIIPA I always do hopshot for bittering and then one large whirlpool addition for 20min minimum. I would use only 2-3 different hops depending on flavor profile you are going for...5oz for the IIPA and up to ten in whirlpool for IIIPA.

trent said:
It looks good but isn't my brewing style -- I agree with bobrews it's too many hops. On my IIPA and IIIPA I always do hopshot for bittering and then one large whirlpool addition for 20min minimum. I would use only 2-3 different hops depending on flavor profile you are going for...5oz for the IIPA and up to ten in whirlpool for IIIPA.

Ok, so maybe I'll skip the 15-5 minute additions and just add a butt load at 0 and whirlpool and bitter accordingly. I'd like to use Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe. I can ditch the Mosaic. Won't be a big deal.

I've been brewing most of my beers with a 60/minus-five/dry hopping schedule, on the advice of, among others, bobbrews, and articles like this http://byo.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2808:hop-stands&Itemid=167. I haven't really tested it versus other methods, but it's produced some nice beers. I like the idea of being able to get all my IBUs from one very cheap 60 minute addition and of preserving those precious hop oils added late.

Alright, so I brewed my DIPA yesterday.

17.31 lbs 2-row
5 lbs Golden Promise
1 lb Crystal 20
1 lb corn sugar

Mashed grains for an hour at 150.
75 minute boil.

30 min: 3 oz Simcoe
15 min: .5 oz each Amarillo and Citra,
.25 oz each Simcoe and Mosaic
10 min: .5 oz each Amarillo and Citra,
5 min: .5 oz each Amarillo and Citra,
0 min: .5 oz each Amarillo and Citra,
Turned the flame off and let stand for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes the wort was in the 180s.
I then added 1 oz each Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe, stirred and let stand another 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes I cooled to the 60s and pitched US-05 yeast.
My OG was 1.096 and the wort smelled and tasted amazing. When fermentation is complete I plan to dry hop with 1 oz each Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe pellets.

Sounds good. Let us know how low that FG goes and if the final body/mouthfeel is on point.

bobbrews said:
Sounds good. Let us know how low that FG goes and if the final body/mouthfeel is on point.

Whether it ends up amazing or sweet, fruity malt syrup I'll update when it's done. ;)
The target FG is 1.018 so we'll see how close I get to that.

Nice, I'd like to also know how the overall ease of drinkability is, and if any pine is sensed I would be surprised. I don't make it a habit to brew too many +1.085 OG IIPA's so I'm curious of the detailed outcome.

bobbrews said:
Nice, I'd like to also know how the overall ease of drinkability is, and if any pine is sensed I would be surprised. I don't make it a habit to brew too many +1.085 OG IIPA's so I'm curious of the detailed outcome.

No problem, I'll try to be as detailed as possible with the results.

I just wanted to post an update on this beer. It's been in the keg for a week and a half now and it just keeps blowing me away. I've been drawing small samples off since one week in and it's amazing. The FG was 1.018 which is where I was wanting. Not too dry, not too sweet. The body is light-medium light. The hops shine in this one. There's a nice smooth lingering bitterness. I'm getting strong flavors and aromas of grapefruit and mango. For 10.2% ABV it's not boozy at all. I couldn't have asked for it to turn out any better. This is definitely the best DIPA I've ever had. I will be brewing this regularly as long as I can continue to find all the hops.

Back