Oldest beer in your Fridge ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepyCreekBrews

Reaction score
Hey Yall,

I stumbled across some 14 month-aged, dry-hopped pale ale in the fridge this afternoon. It's an all grain 6% abv , 49 IBU, 12 SRM American Pale Ale .
Tastes every bit as good as the last time I drank it .....when ever that was. lol

What's the oldest beer in your fridge?

Over 2 years old Hop Ottin IPA. It was a gift, but it was already super old on the store shelves. It's great fresh, but when it's old, there's a reason there's still a bottle in my fridge after this long.

I still have a Guinness can in the fridge from when I turned 21....I'm 33 now. I left it in my parents fridge when I moved out. A couple weeks ago, I looked in their fridge and was shocked to see it still sitting there, 12 years later. I haven't opened it up yet, but I'm really curious. I'm not sure if the can will impart some metallic flavor to it over that span of time. Only one way to find out I guess.

I also put two bottles of Sierra Nevada Narwhal in the back of my fridge a couple months ago that I don't plan on touching for a couple years.

Half a case of 22 oz. bombers of 2010 Belgian Tripel. OK, not in the fridge but they are in the storage closet.

Cream Ale- Which has only been in for 3 weeks and is 3/4 gone already.

I have a can of Schlitz from 1972 in there. I'm waiting for it to age to perfection. Although the pull tab broke off.

Anyone got a churchkey?

I have about a 12 pack of this nasty coconut porter I attempted to make awhile ago. It's horrible haha

I have a couple SNPAs from a year ago that were kinda skunked when I bought 'em. I do have some 4ish year old coronas in my pantry that were brought to my house; not quite in my fridge, and not quite beer....

I have saved a sixer of every batch I make. I plan to open a bottle on the anniversary of bottling for 6 years running. This means eventually I will be regularly enjoying 4, 5 and 6 year old brews! I just passed the one year date on my first batch, gonna crack it tomorrow. I know lots of beer isn't meant to be saved that long, but it's an experiment!

Got a 1 litre bottle of an ESB I bottled last June still sitting in the bottom of the fridge.

That batch started smelling like nail polish remover from early on during the fermentation. As the months have gone by, drinking a bottle every now and again, the smell hasn't improved all that much, still pretty revolting, but the last bottle I drank, about a couple of weeks ago, the flavour was actually getting a bit better. Sweet, sour and bitter but sort of nicely balanced. Crystal clear and a beautiful colour with great head retention and lacing. Looks good in the glass.

That's one brew I haven't shared with many people:eek:;)

I have a few bomers left of a 2.5 yr old Black Hefe that my friend and I made after having too much to drink at a local Brewery / LHBS.

Friend, "Lets make a heffe!" leaning on the bar.
Me, "Uhh, OK!"
-"Lets make it...BLACK!"
"yEA!"
-"Lets put a bunch of LME in it and make it like...15% ABV!"
"wHy NoT?"

Bad idea. 2 Lbs. of Black P. in a 5 gal all grain batch with WHO KNOWS how much LME.

Result: 23 ish % ABV Soy Sauce! Its aging well though. Kind of like a Port (Wine). Kind of like Stone Russian Imperial Stout!:ban:

Have about 16 22oz bombers of a Vanilla Porter that I bottled 10/22/2011. First one we opened tasted great, thought I really nailed it. Everyone I have opened since has been a chalky gritty nightmare. Haven't popped one open in about 8 months, keep meaning to.........

1990 Thomas Hardy's Ale.

I also still have a few bottles of barleywine I brewed around 1996. I opened two last year. The first was fantastic. The second, while drinkable, was just bland.

Mertzy81 said:
1994 Sam Adams Triple Bock. Waiting for my first son to born.

I have a bottle of 1997. It will remain unopened because I just can't stand to drink the stuff. I bought three bottles total about five years ago and haven't drank more than a sip out of the first two. It is quite possibly the worst thing I've ever tasted.

SleepyCreekBrews said:
Hey Yall,

I stumbled across some 14 month-aged, dry-hopped pale ale in the fridge this afternoon. It's an all grain 6% abv , 49 IBU, 12 SRM American Pale Ale .
Tastes every bit as good as the last time I drank it .....when ever that was. lol

What's the oldest beer in your fridge?

Oldest beer in my fridge is a Weyerbacher 11.......

In order to keep a good thread moving forward, I've got a few Quads I brewed back in 2010. This stuff is bangin! I also have 12 oz. of 2011 DFH 120 IPA in the fridge. It's gonna be tough to not crack those puppies open!

I just opened a 18 month old American Brown ale that had been in the fridge for about 17 months ...

It was drier than the beer typically is , the malt character was "different" be still VERY tasty. the Chinook and willamette character has faded into the background with only the bittering remaining. carbonation higher than usual as well. Still a well balanced and enjoyable brown.

Anyone else have some interesting stories??

I have the last few bottles of RIS I bottled in Oct 2014. The remainder of the batch was starting to show signs of oxidation last summer so I put it in the fridge to keep it longer.

Back