Will beer age in a cold keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StroudCreek

Reaction score
I am about to brew a Chocolate Milk Extra Stout, the guy that gave me the recipe said let it age for a month after bottling. I plan to put mine in a keg, my question is..........will the beer age in a cold keg?

I don't have any scientific data to say it will, but i notice that some of my beers will age for the better in a cold keg. Those ones will taste the best right as i run out!

I don't know if they would have aged the same way sitting at room temp.

If you want, you could age it in the keg at room temp. I'm doing that with a peach mead now that will be ready in May.

Give it a few weeks in primary to finish fermentation and mellow a bit and then get it in a cold keg on CO2. I've had beers in primary for months only to have them change for the better significantly after being on CO2 in the keezer for a few weeks. My beers are also always better at the end of the keg so i like to try to get them on gas as soon as possible.

The only science I have done is kegging an botteling on the same day.

The bottles sit in the closet for two weeks (65-70F) and the beer goes on tap (35F).

The bottled beer tastes better after that two weeks. My beer on tap need a week or two to get to the same level of conditioning (for the green beer taste to go away).

Other factors to consider...
- Bigger beers take longer to mature
- Time in bulk aging (or longer fermentation) can help
- Cold storage in a keg is a form of lagering and will cause yeast, hops, particles to drop out
(like chumpsteak says this can make certain beers taste better over time)

Latest posts

Back