Effiecency Measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgrivois

Reaction score
Im using BIAB and sparge the remainder of my pre boil volume into my wort. When I take my measurements to calculate effeciency do I measure gravity before I sparge to my pre boil volume or after?

Im using BIAB and sparge the remainder of my pre boil volume into my wort. When I take my measurements to calculate effeciency do I measure gravity before I sparge to my pre boil volume or after?

To me, the biggest SG reading is the preboil. This is done once ALL runnings are combined into the kettle (after sparging). That will tell you what your mash/lauter efficiency was and indicate if you need to dilute or boil longer.

+1 on tre9er, I agree this is the number of concern because once you hit it you can make adjustments if necessary or desired. There is mash efficiency which is determined after the complete mash and collection of total pre boil runnings and then brew house efficiency which is what the final product achieves after the beer is ready to package

Take the measurement after you sparge for sure. Also it is helpful to sturr the wort around before you take a reading so it is mixed properly. I have made the mistake of not sturring and freaking out that my efficiency was terrible when it really wasn't...

There is mash efficiency which is determined after the complete mash and collection of total pre boil runnings and then brew house efficiency which is what the final product achieves after the beer is ready to package

Actually, mash efficiency is determined by first runnings. Lauter efficiency is taken by sparge runnings and the preboil would then be the mash/lauter efficiency (combined). :D

tre9er said:
Actually, mash efficiency is determined by first runnings. Lauter efficiency is taken by sparge runnings and the preboil would then be the mash/lauter efficiency (combined). :D

Thanks, you are correct, I've always just considered it to essentially be one process of mash and Lauter since the pre-boil gravity is what I really pay attention to:)

Thanks, you are correct, I've always just considered it to essentially be one process of mash and Lauter since the pre-boil gravity is what I really pay attention to:)

Every now and then it's nice to know them separately. You might be getting great mash efficiency (via stirring, good crush, good PH, etc.) but then bad lauter efficiency, and that can key you in on things to improve when you sparge.

tre9er said:
Every now and then it's nice to know them separately. You might be getting great mash efficiency (via stirring, good crush, good PH, etc.) but then bad lauter efficiency, and that can key you in on things to improve when you sparge.

Absolutely and I did not mean I pay no attention to it:) I've been using my set up for so long and have consistently been operating at 82% which I am very content with that I really haven't had any problems that I have to worry about,

The efficiency that I have a tough time pinning down is brewhouse efficiency, because I lose 1) varying amounts of liquid during the boil, which seems dependent on weather (eg. RH/wind/barometric pressure) and vigor of the boil, and 2) varying amounts to boil kettle losses (cold break/hops) for different styles. Lots of variables still in play after I hit my preboil gravity and volume (which are used to calculate the mash/lauter efficiency).

Agreed frodo, there are many examples. I know people who keep a spreadsheet and can now approximate how much they will lose so that is a though.

Absolutely and I did not mean I pay no attention to it:) I've been using my set up for so long and have consistently been operating at 82% which I am very content with that I really haven't had any problems that I have to worry about,

Me too. I'm stuck at 80% pretty reliably with my overnight mash/batch-sparge method. I'm happy with it.

Back