Chinook Munich smash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyebrewing

Reaction score
Tapped my keg of Munich/Chinook smash a week ago and have found it has a very orange and mint flavor that I have never gotten before from chinook. Anyone else done this smash that picked up similar flavors?
The essentials:
Munich(10L) to 1.050 sg, mashed warm for body at 158
50 ibus (calculated per beersmith)
with a 60 min, 10 min, 5 min, flameout additions. dryhop with an 1.5 oz for last week.
Whitelabs wlp830 lager yeast @ 60 for 4 weeks.

I'm no pro as I'm just starting to think about a SMaSH recipe but 158 seems a tad high to me, even for body.

I've been considering Munich or MO for my SMaSH and was considering 155 and wondering if that was high. Is it possible thats the reason for the flavors you've detected?

I always thought Chinook was mildly fruity. I'm curious as to the mint flavor.

What a waste of Munich malt. I am no fan of Chinook. Its' flavor is like a blend of pine sap and used kitty litter. While it has many fans it is probably best paired with a blander domestic pale malt to showcase its' unique attributes.

I doubt its the mash temp. One of my favorite breweries, Lagunitas mashes their ipa at 160°my and its mighty tasty.
forgot I added 5g gypsum to mash with plain ro water to make hops pop. Flavor good, just mix of malty orange seems "off". Seeing if anyone else got that

What a waste of Munich malt. I am no fan of Chinook. Its' flavor is like a blend of pine sap and used kitty litter. While it has many fans it is probably best paired with a blander domestic pale malt to showcase its' unique attributes.

Kitty litter is a unique attribute?

I doubt its the mash temp. One of my favorite breweries, Lagunitas mashes their ipa at 160°my and its mighty tasty.
forgot I added 5g gypsum to mash with plain ro water to make hops pop. Flavor good, just mix of malty orange seems "off". Seeing if anyone else got that

I havent graduated to messing around with my water profile, so I wont pretend to speak intelligently about that whole deal (or anything at all!).

Kitty litter is a unique attribute?

I was trying to be polite here, but there is no hop I am aware of with more cat piss profile than Chinook. That said it has a big following so by deduction cat piss is a very popular flavor.

BigEd said:
I was trying to be polite here, but there is no hop I am aware of with more cat piss profile than Chinook. That said it has a big following so by deduction cat piss is a very popular flavor.

It all subjective, different people like different things. I have never once got "cat piss" from chinook, always fruity (grapefruit) and piney, I have got it from simcoe on occassion tho.

To the OP, is it possible your fermentation temperature got higher than you thought? If so your yeast may have gave you the flavor you described.

It all subjective, different people like different things. I have never once got "cat piss" from chinook, always fruity (grapefruit) and piney, I have got it from simcoe on occassion tho.

To the OP, is it possible your fermentation temperature got higher than you thought? If so your yeast may have gave you the flavor you described.

That and 60 degrees is at least 5 degrees higher than the optimum temp

I use a chest freezer with probe sandwiched between the bucket and bubble wrap set to 55 degrees. Guessing with ferm temps being higher inside, that was an estimate of how high it got.

Back