wheat but hoppy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

222jugs

Reaction score
I would like to do a wheat but a little more hops... sort of like Southern Tier HopSun... but a little less hops ...that has a LOT.. I want to do 2.5 ga..
what kit would be good??
and are there 2.5 ga corny kegs around anywhere..???thanks

Hey 222jugs,

I just did a 3 Floyd's Gumballhead clone and it turned out spectactular. I have strayed away from kits and have been researching recipes on HBT and other sources to come up with my own. Here's what I used:

Specialty Grains: 1 lb. 2-Row & 1 lb. Torrified Wheat

Steep grains in 2.5 gallons water from cold to 155 degrees and then hold at 155 degrees for 30 minutes.

Extract: 6 lbs. of Wheat DME (I used 7 lbs. to elevated the ABV to 7%)
Hops: 4 oz. Amarillo Hops
Hop Schedule: 1oz. 60min, 1oz. 30 min, 1oz. 5 min, and 1oz. Dry Hop

Once grains are steeped, remove and drain muslin bag and then bring to boil. Add the Wheat DME and 1 oz. Amarillo Hops. Boild 30 min.

Add 1 oz. Amarillo Hops (1/2 oz. if less hoppy is desired). Boil 25 more minutes.

Add 1 oz. Amarillo Hops (1/2 oz if less hoppy is desired). Boil 5 minutes, then flame out.

Cool to 80 degrees with immersion chiller, counterflow, or ice bath as quickly as possible to achieve cold break. Whirlpool and transfer to primary fermenter. Top off to 5 gallons.

Aerate the wort and then pitch the yeast: White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast.

Ferment at 68 to 70 degrees until fermentation completely ends (consistent hydrometer readings 3 days apart).

Re-rack to a secondary carboy and Dry Hop with the remaining 1 oz. of Amarillo Hops for an additional week.

Prime/bottle or keg.........Enjoy!

It turned out great and can be adjusted to your liking. Go to TastyBrew.com and plug in all of your additions and it will give you the specifics with OG, FG, ABV, IBU's etc. I used the 1 oz. Amarillo additions throughout the entire recipe and it has a really nice hoppy aroma and isn't overpowering by any means. Good luck! :mug:

I would like to do a wheat but a little more hops... sort of like Southern Tier HopSun... but a little less hops ...that has a LOT.. I want to do 2.5 ga..
what kit would be good??
and are there 2.5 ga corny kegs around anywhere..???thanks

Back