high gravity stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger

Reaction score
So the plan is to brew this:
10.5# marriage otter
1.5# crystal 77l
1.5# flaked oats
1.0# chocolate malt 635l
0.35# black malt

This is a 5.5gal batch and BA gives me an og of around 1.074. I have a pint of wyeast 1275 washed and ready from an ESB. When I was at the lhbs I picked up a tube of wlp099 to add as well that's currently in a 1L starter. I plan on stepping up the starter again today. The plan was to pitch one cup of the Thames valley, waiting until the beer hits approximately 1.050 then throwing in the decanted starter. My reasoning is that this is going to get cocoa nibs and vanilla beans after fermentation finishes so I want to dry it out as much as possible then adjust the sweetness back up to where it needs to be after spicing with lactose.

My question is am I totally crazy with this idea? I love Thames valley but I have had problems with it in beers that go over 1.060 in the past. It seems to leave them a bit too sweet even when I mash at 151.

Back