yeast harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmylie

Reaction score
So I tried that new goose island specialty brew which is a belgian ale named 'Sophie'....since it is bottle conditioned I thought there might be some active yeast in the bottle. I poured the dregs of the bottle into an almost finished apple juice PET bottle along with a couple tablespoons of brown sugar. Next day the bottle was rock hard and foaming. Then I got out my old Mr. Beer which I use for bottling sometimes and added 2+ gallons of apple cider and a pound of brown sugar along with the starter I made from the harvested wheat. I have no idea what type of yeast the belgian ale had but interested to see what type of hard cider this produces. The ale had a lot of fruity taste to it so interested to see if that transfers over.

Just an update if anyone is following. Excellent fermentation rolling right along...didn't think it would be this easy to harvest yeast from a commercially bottle conditioned ale. As I shine a flashlight through the keg I can see tons of bubbles streaming up. Can't wait till ferments out to try. Anyone have experience with Belgian yeast strains and cider? Wondering how dry it will finish?

Latest posts

Back