The_bird's "Steve Grogan smack-talk" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, I wouldn't even say that Favre made the Pack underachieve this year. Personally, I think they'd be closer to being a good team NEXT year or the year after if Favre retired, but that's different than saying they'd be a better team right now.

OK. I've got to put my two cents worth into this.

You can keep the whole lot of QBs you all have been discussing. I'll take the single greatest QB ever, John Elway, over every single one of them. :D

How many of them retired or will retire with 2 rings in their last 2 years and a Super Bowl MVP in their last game?

the_bird said:
See, I wouldn't even say that Favre made the Pack underachieve this year. Personally, I think they'd be closer to being a good team NEXT year or the year after if Favre retired, but that's different than saying they'd be a better team right now.
That's exactly what I am saying....though I think it should have happened two/three years ago. If so, I think tha Pack would look a lot better by now. Favre apologists have developed a problem of getting sentimental every offseason and convincing themselves that Favre is the key. Aparently, the GB owners agree with the fans!

RichBrewer said:
OK. I've got to put my two cents worth into this.

You can keep the whole lot of QBs you all have been discussing. I'll take the single greatest QB ever, John Elway, over every single one of them. :D

How many of them retired or will retire with 2 rings in their last 2 years and a Super Bowl MVP in their last game?
I can't agree about anything in this post. Elway has an impressive stake at Greatest Quarterback Ever.

(though Brady already has more of a stake than Favre) :D

Fiery Sword said:
So you are one of those Green Bay fans that think Favre is still the future (until he decides to not be) of this team?

OMG...... not again.....

i am sensing there might be a nerve in this a'here thread....and i might have unknowingly hit it.

i take it back! i love brett favre! he is the greatest! :D

Oh, I thought Dude did that. OK.

Fiery, it's a topic that has, uh, come up in conversation once or twice before. All in good fun. Hell, this is my thread - LET'S LET IT RIP!

in that case........the local news just flashed a few stats:

Tom Brady on turf - 17-1
Tom Brady in domes - 7-0

brett favre at the crossroads - 0-3

the_bird said:
Bah, he was so full of painkillers, he couldn't feel a thing. :D

Nope, that was after the overdose days. He is on the substance abuse program so he can't even take the hard core pain killers anymore. You guys sure are determined. ;)

And Fiery Sword--your day is coming. I'll get to your ridiculousness tonight.

My complaint about Mr. Steve Grogan
Something is happening here, and I'm getting a little worried. To get immediately to the point, I have no idea why Mr. Steve Grogan makes such a big fuss over antidisestablishmentarianism. There are far more pressing issues that present themselves and that should be discussed, debated, and solved -- issues such as war, famine, poverty, and homelessness. There is also the lesser issue that Grogan's philosophies are not pedantic treatises expressing theories or extravaganzas dealing in fables or fancies. They are substantial, sober outpourings from the very soul of stoicism. To quote the prophet Isaiah, "Woe to ye who let advanced weaponry fall into the hands of obdurate, contemptible tossers". Grogan wants us to believe that we can solve all of our problems by giving him lots of money. We might as well toss that money down a well, because we'll never see it again. What we will see, however, is that Grogan wants to establish tacit boundaries and ground rules for the permissible spectrum of opinion. What's wrong with that? What's wrong is Grogan's gossamer grasp of reality. He ignores a breathtaking number of facts, most notably:

Fact: He has no fixed ethical principles.

Fact: In his line of business, you don't need to know what you're talking about.

Fact: He uses good motives as a cover for evil ones.

In addition, he has been deluding people into believing that one can understand the elements of a scientific theory only by reference to the social condition and personal histories of the scientists involved. Don't let him delude you, too. To be quite frank, Grogan claims that he can be trusted to judge the rest of the world from a unique perch of pure wisdom. That claim illustrates a serious reasoning fallacy, one that is pandemic in his belief systems. Then again, the first lies that Grogan told us were relatively benign. Still, they have been progressing. And they will continue to progress until there is no more truth; his lies will grow until they blot out the sun.

What we're involved in with Grogan is not a game. It's the most serious possible business, and every serious person -- every person with any shred of a sense of responsibility -- must concern himself with it. Today, we might have let him exploit other cultures for self-entertainment. Tomorrow, we won't. Instead, we will expose some of Grogan's stentorian deeds. Why does Grogan want to transmogrify society's petty gripes and irrational fears into "issues" to be catered to? Psychologists might suggest that he should stop caterwauling about what he doesn't understand. Counselors might insist that Grogan's capricious policies may have serious repercussions, even beyond the issue of animalism. Sociologists might point out that I am rather disturbed by his internecine attitude that we should love things and use people instead of the other way around. I agree with the above assessments, but if I didn't sincerely believe that sinister, blasphemous hedonists are unable to see that this makes Grogan's treatises seem pathological and even a bit obtuse, then I wouldn't be writing this letter.

By refusing to act, by refusing to fight scurrility and slander, we are giving Grogan the power to confuse, befuddle, and neutralize public opposition. He wants to produce an army of mindless insects who will obey his every command. To produce such an army, Grogan plans to destroy people's minds using either drugs or an advanced form of lobotomy. Whichever approach he takes, a central point of his belief systems is the notion that he answers to no one. Perhaps Grogan should take some new data into account and revisit that notion. I think he'd find that unilateralism is not merely an attack on our moral fiber. It is also a politically motivated attack on knowledge. While the concept of broad-based peace and social justice coalitions remains desirable, one can consecrate one's life to the service of a noble idea or a glorious ideology. Grogan, however, is more likely to control your bank account, your employment, your personal safety, and your mind. His accomplices portray themselves as fervent believers in freedom of speech and expression, but are loath to reveal that there is a proper place in life for hatred. Hatred of that which is wrong is a powerful and valuable tool. But when Grogan perverts hatred in order to use every conceivable form of diplomacy, deception, pressure, coercion, bribery, treason, and terror to lower our standard of living, it becomes clear that I could go on for pages listing innumerable examples of his brazen views and perverted beliefs. I have already written enough, surely, to convince you that it's not the boogeyman that our children need to worry about. It's Grogan. Not only is Grogan more unregenerate and more harebrained than any envisaged boogeyman or bugbear, but I would never take a job working for Grogan. Given his eccentric objectives, who would want to?

Grogan practically breaks his arm patting himself on the back when he says, "It takes courage to go down into the muddy trenches and evoke a misdirected response to genuine unresolved grievances." As if that were something to be proud of. His pleas are more than just pretentious. They're a revolt against nature. I'm not a demented person. I'd like nothing more than to extend my hand in friendship to Grogan's apparatchiks and convey my hope that in the days to come we can work together to analyze Grogan's press releases in the manner of sociological studies of mass communication and persuasion. Unfortunately, knowing them, they'd rather sue people at random because that's what Grogan wants. If he believes that he is beyond reproach, then it's obvious why he thinks that people are pawns to be used and manipulated.

I feel no shame in writing that Grogan embraces post-structuralism with open arms. To top that off, Grogan must sense his own irremediable inferiority. That's why he is so desperate to guarantee the destruction of anything that looks like a vital community; it's the only way for him to distinguish himself from the herd. It would be a lot nicer, however, if Grogan also realized that he claims that his bruta fulmina epitomize wholesome family entertainment. Well, I beg to differ. Grogan's behavior might be different if he were told that his spin doctors exhibit cruelty to animals for dubious reasons or for no reason at all. Of course, as far as Grogan's concerned, this fact will fall into the category of, "My mind is made up; don't confuse me with the facts." That's why I'm telling you that he will probably throw another hissy fit if we don't let him prevent me from getting my work done. At least putting up with another Steve Grogan hissy fit is easier than convincing Grogan's co-conspirators that one of Grogan's favorite tricks is to create a problem and then to offer the solution. Naturally, it's always his solutions that grant him the freedom to impose a narrow theological agenda on secular society, never the original problem. I would like to close by saying that comments like that don't sit well with tasteless, narrow-minded crybabies.

I love the web...
http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

I just read that twice, slowly, before I noted the link at the bottom. :drunk:

On this bright side, maybe I soaked up a few big words that I will someday regurgitate out.....:D

Dude said:
And Fiery Sword--your day is coming. I'll get to your ridiculousness tonight.

Awesome, get your popcorn everybody! :D

If my memory is correct: Grogan retired holding the NFL record for QB rushing TDs in a season and also had the highest ever passer rating in a shortened season (I forget if it was 100 attempts or what, but he had that record.) He was tough and fun to watch. The Pats were awful in those years. Sam Cunningham (Randall's big brother) and Grogan were some of the only offensive weapons. Stanley Morgan was a great deep threat. But NFL was really a different game then.

My complaint about Mr. Steve Grogan
Something is happening here, and I'm getting a little worried. To get immediately to the point, I have no idea why Mr. Steve Grogan makes such a big fuss over antidisestablishmentarianism. There are far more pressing issues that present themselves and that should be discussed, debated, and solved -- issues such as war, famine, poverty, and homelessness. There is also the lesser issue that Grogan's philosophies are not pedantic treatises expressing theories or extravaganzas dealing in fables or fancies. They are substantial, sober outpourings from the very soul of stoicism. To quote the prophet Isaiah, "Woe to ye who let advanced weaponry fall into the hands of obdurate, contemptible tossers". Grogan wants us to believe that we can solve all of our problems by giving him lots of money. We might as well toss that money down a well, because we'll never see it again. What we will see, however, is that Grogan wants to establish tacit boundaries and ground rules for the permissible spectrum of opinion. What's wrong with that? What's wrong is Grogan's gossamer grasp of reality. He ignores a breathtaking number of facts, most notably:

Fact: He has no fixed ethical principles.

Fact: In his line of business, you don't need to know what you're talking about.

Fact: He uses good motives as a cover for evil ones.

In addition, he has been deluding people into believing that one can understand the elements of a scientific theory only by reference to the social condition and personal histories of the scientists involved. Don't let him delude you, too. To be quite frank, Grogan claims that he can be trusted to judge the rest of the world from a unique perch of pure wisdom. That claim illustrates a serious reasoning fallacy, one that is pandemic in his belief systems. Then again, the first lies that Grogan told us were relatively benign. Still, they have been progressing. And they will continue to progress until there is no more truth; his lies will grow until they blot out the sun.

What we're involved in with Grogan is not a game. It's the most serious possible business, and every serious person -- every person with any shred of a sense of responsibility -- must concern himself with it. Today, we might have let him exploit other cultures for self-entertainment. Tomorrow, we won't. Instead, we will expose some of Grogan's stentorian deeds. Why does Grogan want to transmogrify society's petty gripes and irrational fears into "issues" to be catered to? Psychologists might suggest that he should stop caterwauling about what he doesn't understand. Counselors might insist that Grogan's capricious policies may have serious repercussions, even beyond the issue of animalism. Sociologists might point out that I am rather disturbed by his internecine attitude that we should love things and use people instead of the other way around. I agree with the above assessments, but if I didn't sincerely believe that sinister, blasphemous hedonists are unable to see that this makes Grogan's treatises seem pathological and even a bit obtuse, then I wouldn't be writing this letter.

By refusing to act, by refusing to fight scurrility and slander, we are giving Grogan the power to confuse, befuddle, and neutralize public opposition. He wants to produce an army of mindless insects who will obey his every command. To produce such an army, Grogan plans to destroy people's minds using either drugs or an advanced form of lobotomy. Whichever approach he takes, a central point of his belief systems is the notion that he answers to no one. Perhaps Grogan should take some new data into account and revisit that notion. I think he'd find that unilateralism is not merely an attack on our moral fiber. It is also a politically motivated attack on knowledge. While the concept of broad-based peace and social justice coalitions remains desirable, one can consecrate one's life to the service of a noble idea or a glorious ideology. Grogan, however, is more likely to control your bank account, your employment, your personal safety, and your mind. His accomplices portray themselves as fervent believers in freedom of speech and expression, but are loath to reveal that there is a proper place in life for hatred. Hatred of that which is wrong is a powerful and valuable tool. But when Grogan perverts hatred in order to use every conceivable form of diplomacy, deception, pressure, coercion, bribery, treason, and terror to lower our standard of living, it becomes clear that I could go on for pages listing innumerable examples of his brazen views and perverted beliefs. I have already written enough, surely, to convince you that it's not the boogeyman that our children need to worry about. It's Grogan. Not only is Grogan more unregenerate and more harebrained than any envisaged boogeyman or bugbear, but I would never take a job working for Grogan. Given his eccentric objectives, who would want to?

Grogan practically breaks his arm patting himself on the back when he says, "It takes courage to go down into the muddy trenches and evoke a misdirected response to genuine unresolved grievances." As if that were something to be proud of. His pleas are more than just pretentious. They're a revolt against nature. I'm not a demented person. I'd like nothing more than to extend my hand in friendship to Grogan's apparatchiks and convey my hope that in the days to come we can work together to analyze Grogan's press releases in the manner of sociological studies of mass communication and persuasion. Unfortunately, knowing them, they'd rather sue people at random because that's what Grogan wants. If he believes that he is beyond reproach, then it's obvious why he thinks that people are pawns to be used and manipulated.

I feel no shame in writing that Grogan embraces post-structuralism with open arms. To top that off, Grogan must sense his own irremediable inferiority. That's why he is so desperate to guarantee the destruction of anything that looks like a vital community; it's the only way for him to distinguish himself from the herd. It would be a lot nicer, however, if Grogan also realized that he claims that his bruta fulmina epitomize wholesome family entertainment. Well, I beg to differ. Grogan's behavior might be different if he were told that his spin doctors exhibit cruelty to animals for dubious reasons or for no reason at all. Of course, as far as Grogan's concerned, this fact will fall into the category of, "My mind is made up; don't confuse me with the facts." That's why I'm telling you that he will probably throw another hissy fit if we don't let him prevent me from getting my work done. At least putting up with another Steve Grogan hissy fit is easier than convincing Grogan's co-conspirators that one of Grogan's favorite tricks is to create a problem and then to offer the solution. Naturally, it's always his solutions that grant him the freedom to impose a narrow theological agenda on secular society, never the original problem. I would like to close by saying that comments like that don't sit well with tasteless, narrow-minded crybabies.

I love the web...
http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

Wow. How long to write that?

FYI, this thread was originally split off from one that Dude started about exactly how friggin' undeniably awesome Brett Favre was. Pre-JETS days. Dude used to get pissed at me for... well, let's just say disagreeing with his premise. I'll have to dig that old thread up....

Last night for Frank Gifford's MNF intro they mentioned an old MNF game featuring a Grogan-led Pats vs a Stabler-led Oilers (with Earl Campbell). I had forgotten Stabler went to the Oilers.

Back