Multiple fruits or all one subspieces?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Would you do a pomme with all Granny Smith or would you mix it up with some delicious and some Fujis too?

I saw this questiuon in a couple other threads with no takers.

On the cooking side the hot red wine for pan reduced sauces is called "Cote De Rhone", made from a little bit of each of the four major red grapes. The $10-15 bottles are more than adequate for cooking. When you cook it down it stays balanced, rather than tending to candy ir raisiniy or burnt like the singe graqpe red wines will.

I am thinking based on my pan sauce experiences reducing red wine to a bit of syrup with some vegetables and some herbs that maybe tossing more than one subspecies or breed of fruit in the secondarty might be a really good idea.
I bet the Belgians just use one type of say peaches, but I bet they aren't Georgia peaches or Florida peaches or California peaches.

Whaddya think?

I'd mix them up definateky unless you have one that contains ALL the characteristics you want and none you don't.

Cider is typically made with multiple varieties of apples - to blend the tart, sweetness and add an overall complexity you won't get with one variety.

I do the same thing when making apple desserts.

Back